Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,582,961   Online: 977

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Name of this camera?

Does anyone know name of this camera? It looks like a medium format camera but I'm not sure.

Thanks,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 546487_10151128383778394_2042495880_n.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post

Wow! That was super quick! Thanks,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They were quite common particularly in former Soviet block countries I recognised it before seeing Miha's reply but then my first serious camera was a Zenit E.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it is medium format.

Jeff

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    That lens is definitely a Helios 44-2. Nice and swirly out-of-focus backgrounds.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    I don't think it is medium format.

Jeff
    It's a standard 35mm SLR. It is not even big. Only the high "shoulders " may cause this impression.

It is heavy though. Cast metal body. The lens is located asymmmetrically which I guess was unusual back then.

I got a Zenit-E (the same but with uncoupled exposure meter) and I like it.

Zenits were exported and even rebranded.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually I consider the Zenit-B or E a nice camera for basic training. The body seems undestructable and one can see how the mechanics work. Though due to the applied concept of shutter mechanics these models only have the fast range of shutter times. The lack of an automatic diaphragm but the existence of a pre-set stop for minimum diaphragm might even be beneficial for training.

The release-button lock is something to warn about: once locked and incidentially twisting the cocking lever thereafter, after unlocking and cocking the shutter will not cock totally and the mirror will not go up at all. At the second release the mirror will go up but the shutter still will not be cocked fully, only the third exposure will be right again.
    With this in mind and the fact that the shutter must be released bevor it can be locked, one better not uses that lock at all.

There may be slight variations depending on year of built. Furthermore both camera and Helios lens were manufactured at various plants, further introducing further, minor variations.

(One of my Zenits got a cocking lever rewind spring that lost part of its tension. It seems I'm not the only one to encounter this. The cocking lever already got a long stroke (230°). With the release-button locked you can even twist it (without load) 270°. Maybe that spoils that spring.)
    Last edited by AgX; 10-14-2013 at 11:08 AM. Click to view previous post history.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    From the Zenit-E alone about 4 Million cameras were made.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I moved this thread to the 35mm section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin