Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,956   Online: 933

Shooter
    35mm

Nikon FM and pre-AI lenses?

I just read that the AI lever on my FM flips out of the way to allow the use of pre-AI lenses. Do I still have to use stop-down metering, though? Thanks, Chip (BTW I found this out in "Nikon: A Celebration"--best Nikon book I've ever read)

Images
    Yes, the FM (but not the FM2), the FE (but not the FE2) and the F3 all have the AI tab that flips up but ,YES, you have to use stop down metering.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi, you still have to use stop-down metering with the non-AI lenses. It's not that big a deal though. I prefer to use a hand held incident meter most of the time though, so it's a non issue for me. Most of my Nikkors are the pre-AI variety. In my case, I actually find the TTL meter to be distracting. Here is a link to a manual for the FM I just bought a Nikon FM from someone on this forum, so I've downloaded the manual too. Enjoy your FM, it's a great camera.
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks, r-brian Chip

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want non-AI lenses to meter at full aperture you need to either:

- AI-convert them (which can still be done)
    - use a body that uses the meter coupling prong, like the F2A, Nikkormat FTn, Nikkormat EL/Nikon EL2, etc.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin