Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,130   Online: 894

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I havent used one, but you might try a Nikon 135mm f2 DC. The DC stands for Defocus Control.
    I understand that it actually has a ring that allows you to control how soft it is.

It sounds to me like you are very particular about the soft/sharp and bokeh of your lens. Having full control may be just the thing for you.
    That's not what it does- think of it as the Anti- Floating Element
    It introduces aberrations into the background (or foreground) to smooth out the background

This bad boy http://www.photozone.de/sony-alpha-a...90-sony_135_28 uses a different method to also smooth out the back ground

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use an 1970s 85f/2 for portraits and it works well for me. my new 85f/1.8 gets little use and I don't know why but I prefer the old one.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yes, what a great smile! you cannot go wrong with her.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm addicted to the Nikon 85/1.4 - the classic A1s manual version. It can be shot wide open for selective depth of field, or stopped down for great sharpness. I use it primarily for black and white work ... for color I might be tempted to try the Zeiss (Cosina) 85/1.4 (a bit different bokeh and slightly warmer color). I'd love to own the 135DC, but can't justify the expense, since 90% of my shooting is large format.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I ended up keeping the Nikkor 85 2.0. It's very capable at portraits set to 2.8 (2.0 is too soft), and the small size and light weight made the difference. Mounted on my EM, you couldn't ask for a smaller setup. If I'm careful I can keep it away from backgrounds that create those distracting highlights. People seem to either love this lens or hate it. It has the ability to just get the face in focus, and not the whole head, and that's important.

Ralph, I had a non ai 85 1.8 too, and while mine was sharper than the 85 2.0, it wasn't nearly as good for portraits. Better for a walk around lens, as long as you don't mind the additional weight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    "2.0 is too soft" - Is it not a gift for portraits. ;-)
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    depends on the sitter. =]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not like everybody else. Love 35mm and 50mm lenses for portraits. I like to get close. Both attached portraits with a Pentax 35mm f/3.5 lens. The one of the boy cropped to square, of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lowe.jpg   mormor1sm.jpg  
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    do you mean 100 f2.8 e? It's quite different from the classic 105/2.5 many of us have recommended.
    oops, I checked again! My bad; It is the 100mm!
    Last edited by analoguey; 11-03-2013 at 01:08 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Punctuation!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is an unfortunate problem w the 85 being too soft at f2. You'll probably get the eyes and mouth nicely in focus, but not the nose and chin! I had some strange looking shots w/ that lens at f2, and by 2.8 they looked fine.

In some comparison portraits between this and a Leica R 90 Elmarit (both at 2.8), it was tough to pick one from the other, notwithstanding that the Leica's 90mm lens had my sitter larger in the shot (more than I had guessed it would). OK, the Elmarit had more contrast too, but the Nikon shots looked fine. In fact, I liked them more than the Leica shots. Contrast isn't an issue, as it's easy to bump that up after the neg, or even before in developing.

You could probably utilize the softness. I need to shoot it some more for sure. It could be used for more than portraits, or even for portraits where you wanted a certain look. The bokeh is really nice.
    Last edited by momus; 11-06-2013 at 12:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin