Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,494   Posts: 1,543,005   Online: 761

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    There is an unfortunate problem w the 85 being too soft at f2. You'll probably get the eyes and mouth nicely in focus, but not the nose and chin! I had some strange looking shots w/ that lens at f2, and by 2.8 they looked fine.

In some comparison portraits between this and a Leica R 90 Elmarit (both at 2.8), it was tough to pick one from the other, notwithstanding that the Leica's 90mm lens had my sitter larger in the shot (more than I had guessed it would). OK, the Elmarit had more contrast too, but the Nikon shots looked fine. In fact, I liked them more than the Leica shots. Contrast isn't an issue, as it's easy to bump that up after the neg, or even before in developing.

You could probably utilize the softness. I need to shoot it some more for sure. It could be used for more than portraits, or even for portraits where you wanted a certain look. The bokeh is really nice.
    Dude, that's not softness, it's shallow depth of focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Depth of field, E., depth of field.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Depth of field, E., depth of field.
    D.o. focus, behind the lens, d.o. field, the subject. Either term explains it as being distinct from a soft lens.

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Go for bokeh..
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin