Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,555   Online: 814

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience is similar to the other comments, I bought my F3 new in circa '82, the LCD is fine.

I don't know for certain, but it probably doesn't affect the shutter timing even if it isn't working. So the camera would still be usable as long as the timing circuits are ok otherwise.

Shooter
    35mm
    My F3 is also 25 years old, and the LCD is perfect. Probably worth noting that it did spend the first 20 years of its life in a studio, on a copy stand.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Not quite the same but the LCD sees a tough environment.
    My 2004 Aprilia Tuono motorcycle has an LCD dash. 9 years and over 100K miles and it's still working. The plastic covering it has a few spots but the display works fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a (well-used!) Sharp pocket calculator from 1977 which still works fine, should make its 40th birthday with a bit of luck !

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by BMbikerider View Post
    I have only heard of one brand/model of camera which has regular LCD problems and this was the Minolta 9000. They were very well built but you only very very rarely see one for sale now in any sort of condition because the LCD was it's Achilles heel. The 7000 model which was brought out a year or so before never had the same LCD problem. Your F3 has many years left.
    The true weakness of the Minolta 9000 wasn't the LCD. It was horrible AF. Even the lower-end Maxxum 7000 focuses better. I have a 9000 with a pristine LCD that I can't use, the AF sucks that bad.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all very much, Chip. I'll keep the F3, since I also have a FM that was recently gone over, just as a future backup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW I have a Fluke multimeter which I bought in mid 1982, the display is still fine. A Sony radio bought about 6 months later, ditto although I had to clean the connector for the tuning display about 5 years ago - considering that this radio has been everywhere twice and probably has well over 10,000 hours on it, that's OK.

Shooter
    35mm
    A nice used F3 costs about as much as 3 bottles of good booze. If it fails, get another one. The comments above clearly indicate that it probably won't fail in the first place.

Shooter
    35mm
    Both my 30 yr old F3's are fine but my D1 lower display failed after 6 yrs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I usually buy that cheap red Merlot from Walmart, so that adds up to about 40 bottles per Nikon F3 (KEH Bgn). On the other hand, my beater N8008s is only worth about 6 bottles. The cat has had some health issues and a lot of vet visits, so she's worth somewhere around 1,350 bottles of Merlot. Interesting way to value things. Of course the cat is worth a lot more than that to me. Jury is still out on the wife. It was worth 1,000,000 bottles to get away from the first one. Not the first cat. I don't own a camera w/ an LCD, but now I sorta wish I did, just in case.
    Last edited by momus; 10-17-2013 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin