Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,696   Online: 780

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

How long will F3 LCDS last?

I may have to sell a very minty FM2 or extremely nice F3HP. I'd like to keep the F3, but I want it to last another 20 yrs. Is this feasible? Thanks, Chip

Shooter
    35mm
    They've been asking this question since 1980. Someone still has to come up with an answer.
    My cameras:
    Fed 2
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F601, F801, F801S, F50, F55, F60, F65, F70, F75, F80, F90, F90X, EL2, FE, FM, FG, FG-20, EM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have two F3s, one I bought new when they were introduced is fine, one I bought used has some segments that don't work. So 50/50 with me. -- not much help I guess

Shooter
    35mm
    My F3 was made around 1988, and the LCD display is still good. Heat probably has more influence than time -- the instructions for the MF-14 data back mentions that heat can shorten the life-span of the display. The MF-14 manual estimates a life-span of 6 to 7 years -- mine is way beyond that (25 years so far).

Shooter
    35mm
    My F 3 was bought in 1980 and the LCD display works still fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    When LCD's came out there was a warning about the lifespan of the item of about 5 years before they were needing replaced. Well that myth can be dispelled. I have a BMW motorcycle which is 27 years old, it has a LCD readout for the clock and gear position indicator and they both work as they should. I have a pocket calculator which is about 3 years older than the bike and that works too (including the photocell which powers it).

I now think that the warning about the life of LCD's was greatly underestimated because on most instruments that use them they are not operating all the time. Both of my items above are not switched on all the time and nor will the LCD of the Nikon so the life will probably be in decades not just 5 years.

I have only heard of one brand/model of camera which has regular LCD problems and this was the Minolta 9000. They were very well built but you only very very rarely see one for sale now in any sort of condition because the LCD was it's Achilles heel. The 7000 model which was brought out a year or so before never had the same LCD problem. Your F3 has many years left.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of all LCD-Displays I got in house only one truly failed: deterioration of the display itself and not "just" a contact issue, though the latter is worse enough. It was from a consumer product, bought in the 90s and deteriorated within 10 years. The black indicators looked like leaves having fallen from a tree. I can't sayfor sure whether the voltage was on all the time. Most probably not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an F3Hp that I bought new with a Micro Nikkor lens. That was around 1980 also. Everything still functions. Maybe the question should be IF it fails are replacement parts available & how much to change the display.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case deterioration would be a sole matter of aging, then a replacement would hardly be a great benefit.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In case deterioration would be a sole matter of aging, then replacement would hardly yield a great benefit, with the replacement most probably being of not much lesser age.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin