Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,764   Posts: 1,484,066   Online: 1173

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F2 -- 1/80 speed fires as bulb. What gives?

Hello all,

My beloved Nikon F2 has recently been exhibiting a strange behavior. When I set the camera's shutter speed dial at the sync detent, most of the time the camera acts like it is set to bulb. You push the button and the shutter opens; you release the button and the shutter closes.

Since I never use flash with the camera, I can live with this as long as it's not affecting the other speeds or overall mechanical integrity. Right now, other than the aforementioned quirk everything works as expected.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Am I risking a catastrophe by continuing to shoot the camera without getting it fixed?

Thanks in advance,

M

Shooter
    Multi Format
    that hashmark doesn't do anything but indicate the highest shutter speed that will synch with the flash without the shutter curtain blocking off part of the frame during the flash. It shouldn't do anything else, and certainly shouldn't be holding up the second shutter curtain. Flash synch mechanisms don't work that way.

So I'd say you probably won't break the camera any more using it at other speeds, but I would wonder if those speeds are being affected by whatever is making the shutter hold up at that point.

Get it serviced.

Shooter
    Large Format
    There is no accuracy in that shutter at this time, you have to assume. There is a definite problem there, quite possibly related to failed lubrication.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the input, guys. I'm not sure if I'll get it serviced or take the cheaper route and just buy another body (that may need service as well).

Shooter
    Large Format
    They all need service. May as well get the one you have working right.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't Sover Wong in GB the F2 repair/rebuild/restore guru.

Shooter
    35mm
    John
    Yes, he is in the UK and he is the best repairer for F2.
    My cameras:
    Nikon F4, F4S, F401S, F50, F55, F60, 2xF601, F65, 3xF75, F801, 2x F801S, F80, F90, 4xF90X, EL2, FE, FM, 2xFG, FG-20, 3xEM

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Send it to Sover. When you get it back, the camera will work better than it did when it was originally sold.

http://soverf2repair.webs.com/

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F FTn, FM2n, Nikomat FT2, Nikkormat FT3 - all blk bodies
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (for DPUG), 28/3.5 H, 35/2 O, 35-135/3.5-4.5 AF, 50/1.4 S, 50/1.4 SC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS

My FB - My flickr stream

Shooter
    35mm RF
    try 1/60 if it works you are ok unless you need flash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Flash will work at any speed under 1/80 sec.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin