Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,939   Posts: 1,557,408   Online: 911

Shooter
    Multi Format

Nikon F4, Film loading/advance problem

Dear All,
    My Nikon F4 recently had developed a strange fault. When trying to load film, upon first shot the film advances to the first frame and then the red led comes on. After waiting for a while pressing the shutter button again it moves the film as if trying to load it and then halts with a red led again. The batteries are fresh.
    Do you know why this has happened all of a sudden? Is it something that can be repaired by me? If not, is it worth repairing it, or buying another body?

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The R2 lever is in its normal position, right? If not, reset it and try again. If it is, then I'm guessing there's an issue with the sensor that tells the camera that your film is ready to be loaded. Unless the camera is really nice cosmetically, it's probably going to be a better idea to grab another body, then tear this one down for parts. An overhaul can run upwards of $300. Nice F4 bodies can be had for half that from time to time. My previous F4s was one that I bought for $143.50, plus shipping. Was almost mint, cosmetically. Even had the cap on the cable release socket and was a fairly late model, being in the 2516xxx serial range.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 50/1.4 AI, 80-200/4.5 AI, 85/1.8 K, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    35mm
    An overhaul can run upwards of $300.
    In the UK, it is only £100 for a CLA by a Nikon authorised repairer. Send it to: http://www.aztechservices.com
    Fed 2, 4, 5
    Zenit 11, 12XP
    Olympus OM-1N, OM-2N, OM10, OMG
    A bunch of Nikons

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had no response from them so far. Anyway, I have bought another one. I will find somebody to repair it though, no matter what.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin