Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,511   Posts: 1,543,569   Online: 1083
      
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 66
  1. #41

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    I see what you mean, as Boeing have factories and research facilities all around the world I guess that makes the Dreamliner their 'Portuguese Leica', something else that can also be blamed on foreigners ;-)

    This is just an absurdist thread from the start though, taking a very narrow insular view of the world and trying to make a case against Leica from it. Almost any mechanical or consumer product will have sub-assemblies or materials from other parts of the world. Leica use Copal shutters in their digital FF cameras, they arrive built, not as a kit of parts. But a shutter is not a camera, just like an imported piece of rosewood is not a guitar, it has to go to a specialist to be made into something else. And just remember, when Leica were at their most vulnerable in the 1970's and 80's they were confident enough of their manufacturing standards that they could proudly engrave 'Made in Canada' on many of their high end bodies and lenses, some of which are now the most sought after.

    Steve
    Steve am i right in thinking the 50mm F1 Nocti was made in Canada

    Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

  2. #42

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Peak District, Derbyshire, UK
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    270
    Yes spot on, the f/1.0 Noctilux was fully Canadian, designed by Mandler.

    Steve
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/steve_barnett/

    book
    wood, water, rock,
    landscape photographs in and around the Peak District National Park, UK.

  3. #43
    Thomas Bertilsson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Minnesota
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    14,286
    Images
    301
    Quote Originally Posted by 250swb View Post
    Yes spot on, the f/1.0 Noctilux was fully Canadian, designed by Mandler.

    Steve
    A few of my long time Leica using friends tell me the Canadian Leicas were probably the best ones built. I have no way of verifying that, but they are people that have been photographers for many decades, making a living off of their skills and tools.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

    "Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

    "...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    A few of my long time Leica using friends tell me the Canadian Leicas were probably the best ones built. I have no way of verifying that, but they are people that have been photographers for many decades, making a living off of their skills and tools.
    I hope so, i have a M4-2 and 70 year anniversary M4-p but the film counter has gone on my M4-2 but it is a common problem the first M4-2's had a few problems but mine is from the better batch

    Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

  5. #45

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,431
    "German Engineering" is I think more a product of the ad agency than anything.
    Take a look at a Citroen Deux Chevaux some time - quite a bit of the cleverest engineering I've ever seen. The ealy Peugeot GP cars were way ahead of anything else. The American Miller racers were known as "the American Bugatti" and with good reason. The English marine chronometers were and are in a class of their own, as are the highest grade London guns. Swiss watches. Italian sports cars, from when that term actually meant something.
    Many countries have produced superlative engineering. The only area Czechs take a backseat to anyone is in self promotion, perhaps.

  6. #46
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,533
    Images
    1
    'made in Japan'means a lot to me. my Nikonsare a beacon of mechanical and electronic engineering; like them a lotand just as reliable as my Hasselblads.Most big-name companies have a multi national staff anyway, so, it is no longer an ethnic issue.the ethnic blend of talents is he secret to thr success of diversity.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Oceania
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    388
    You want something designed and made in the country of origin? Buy a Jeep then report back after 6 months.

  8. #48

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,431
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    'made in Japan'means a lot to me. my Nikonsare a beacon of mechanical and electronic engineering; like them a lotand just as reliable as my Hasselblads.Most big-name companies have a multi national staff anyway, so, it is no longer an ethnic issue.the ethnic blend of talents is he secret to thr success of diversity.
    Canon offered a five year warranty starting in 1950.

  9. #49

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Adirondacks
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    3,431
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Swensson View Post
    You want something designed and made in the country of origin? Buy a Jeep then report back after 6 months.
    Those things really are embarrasments...

  10. #50

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Prague, e.g. Europe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    285
    Images
    43
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    "German Engineering" is I think more a product of the ad agency than anything.
    Take a look at a Citroen Deux Chevaux some time - quite a bit of the cleverest engineering I've ever seen. The ealy Peugeot GP cars were way ahead of anything else. The American Miller racers were known as "the American Bugatti" and with good reason. The English marine chronometers were and are in a class of their own, as are the highest grade London guns. Swiss watches. Italian sports cars, from when that term actually meant something.
    Many countries have produced superlative engineering. The only area Czechs take a backseat to anyone is in self promotion, perhaps.
    I'm not sure what are you pointing at, but I always remember a sentence from one of E. Waugh's characters - "Czechs make good coachmen. Nothing more."
    | website | ipernity thing |

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin