Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,324   Online: 1199

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Leicas Made in Germany?

How can new Leicas claim to be made in Germany when the body, and, I presume, shutter, are made in Portugal?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The same was as VW cars can claim German prestige when they are actually assembled in Mexico and other latin-American countries. It's just a glossed-over name, not a badge of prestige.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No, labeling has to be real. a certain percentage of the camera has to be made/assembled in Germany to allow it to be labeled as such. The factory in Portugal makes the body housings and so forth, but I believe the finer assembly and maybe the rangefinder units and so forth are made/installed in Germany. At one point Leica had a video on its web site showing the final assembly of an M7, I think it was, with the rangefinder, top plate, outer leather and other things being put together in Germany.

The 24mm 2.8 elmarit R lens has a similar history -- it was made by Minolta but German took delivery of a huge pile of them, weeded out the inferior ones and then altered the ones they accepted so much that they could qualify for "made in germany" designation.

further discussion: http://leica.nemeng.com/013c.shtml
    Last edited by summicron1; 10-24-2013 at 12:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I buy food at my supermarket, and I read the packet.
    "Packaged in Australia from local and imported ingredients".
    So, uh, yeah, it's grown on the panet earth then?

My 2c is that "made in" is possibly the most redundant thing to a) write on a product, and b) care about.
    Everything's made everywhere from bits mined and produced and added-to and shipped all around the globe, whether we like it or not...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    35mm
    I saw the M7 video, and they sure made no mention of either making or putting a shutter in. And the "MP" stands for "Mechanical Perfection"? Leica makes a BIG thing out of "Made in Germany". I can quite accept my Contax G system being produced w/Zeiss test machinery and supervised by Zeiss people, but it says "Made in Japan"!
    Last edited by chip j; 10-24-2013 at 01:32 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    The 24mm 2.8 elmarit R lens has a similar history -- it was made by Minolta but German took delivery of a huge pile of them, weeded out the inferior ones and then altered the ones they accepted so much that they could qualify for "made in germany" designation.

further discussion: http://leica.nemeng.com/013c.shtml

The Elmarit-R 24mm was always at least assebled in Germany from a design by Minolta. The glass was also from Minolta but was later replaced and the lens reformulated to accomodate newer glasses by Leica (Schott?). The performace stayed the same.
    500 f/8 (Minolta), Vario Elmar 80-200 f/4.5 (Minolta), 75-200 f/4.5 (Minolta), 70-210 f/4 (Minolta) 80-200 f/4 (Kyocera) 35-70 f/3.5 (Minolta), 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 (Sigma) were made in Japan and labeled as such.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    No, labeling has to be real. a certain percentage of the camera has to be made/assembled in Germany to allow it to be labeled as such.
    No.
    There is no legislation of general application for the designation "made in". Nationally there may be such concerning consumer rights or concerning customs.

At the moment EU-Regulations on this matter are getting more strict. German industry is protesting by argueing that the design, manufacturing quality etc. of those goods manufactured abroad is made in/controlled from Germany.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-24-2013 at 03:07 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    My M4-2 and 70 year anniversary M4-p are both stamped made in Canada, the M4-2 saved the M series cameras

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But, does anyone really cares, concerning quality?
    I mean relating to the example given by the OP: does anyone expect workmanship in Portugal be different from that in Germany?
    It all depends on the training of the personnel and the applied quality standard. As such this is a matter of management, not of location.

Agfa, Fuji and Kodak, each company manufactured films in various parts of the world. So far I have not heard someone rejecting a certain batch of film due to ist origin.
    I only come across this discussion concerning cameras.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-24-2013 at 03:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's the somewhat wrong believe that german engineering is the best in the world. Don't ask me about the new Mercedes cars and their quality same goes for BMW and other German car manufacturers. Even at the height of German engineering the products were often overengineered to a point that hindered the product in the long run Zeiss Ikon cameras are a good example great as long as they work but boy can they get complicated when you want to repair them all those interlocks etc...

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin