Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,769   Posts: 1,484,219   Online: 960

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Canon AF points are off-centered

I just swapped a gridded focusing screen into my Canon 1V. After checking through the viewfinder, I see that the AF array is shifted slightly (about the width of an AF square) to the right. Just to double check that it wasn't a badly seated focus screen, I played musical chairs with the 1V, 3, and 1Ds (D is for decorative, not digital, I swear!). Both 3 and 1Ds have the center AF point squarely over the central intersection, with only the 1V showing the shift to the right. I'm pretty confident it's a problem with the camera, and not the screen.

I could keep the non-gridded screen back on it, but now that I know that this shift exists... it irks the heck out of me!

Is there a user fix to shift the AF squares, or is this a send it in to Canon problem?

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    No one knows what I'm talking about?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Or no one cares. So long as the AF marker matches the AF sensor, it does not matter one jot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I suspect the red LED emitters in the viewfinder have been jarred off-centre, likely from rough treatment. As the focusing screens are quite a positive fit once installed, it is unlikely that the screen is incorrectly seated. This AF emitter shift has been reported in the EOS 1V, EOS 5 and 1N — but it requires quite a decent knock for this to happen, like dropping (which will also impact the mirror box and prism — two of the weakest areas in the EOS cameras). Remove the focusing screen and reinstall it just to be very certain. If the problem persists, the camera will need a bench examination (take your purse...).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

One beautiful image is worth
    a thousand hours of therapy.

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government
    to save the environment."
    .::Ansel Adams

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin