Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,982   Posts: 1,523,857   Online: 1052

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A 1N body without the power driver booster E1 is quite compact and agreeable, and just a little bit weighty; these are fast, efficient and refined brute cameras and millions are still in use. The bonus is that there are extra functions and capacity as your skills grow, but nothing is made new for it now (except EF lenses) so the second hand market is the place to scoot about.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I don't know that millions are still in use. But probably plenty of them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    The EOS 300 is also known as the EOS Rebel 2000 in North America - and is indeed very light and reasonably small.

It is even fairly light and small with the BP200 battery grip.

My 40mm pancake lens and it go together quite well .
    You highlight an important point Matt, to stop Grey imports from the US some camera manufacturers use different model names/number for models sold in North America. It's often not realised that US camera prices are way below the rest of the world.

I've just found a seller with 3 left at £9.99 each (PM sent to the OP).

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    You could try an APS one like the IXUS cameras. They look pretty compact.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zanxion72 View Post
    Don't go there.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    The EOS 300 seems to have a few quirky features, not least the fact continuous advance is compulsory in all but full auto mode. So PASM settings are motor drive - better not be heavy on the shutter finger! The metering is always evaluative, except in manual, when it's partial. Typical late 1990s consumer SLR weirdness. My equivalent Nikon won't allow manual ISO setting. What were they thinking of?

Even so, an SLR camera for the price of a roll of Portra.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    The EOS 300 seems to have a few quirky features, not least the fact continuous advance is compulsory in all but full auto mode. So PASM settings are motor drive - better not be heavy on the shutter finger! The metering is always evaluative, except in manual, when it's partial. Typical late 1990s consumer SLR weirdness. My equivalent Nikon won't allow manual ISO setting. What were they thinking of?

Even so, an SLR camera for the price of a roll of Portra.
    Courtesy of my original manufacturer's instruction manual for my Rebel 2000/ES 300s:

The single shot advance applies in the full auto, landscape, close-up, night shot and Auto DEP modes as well.

And the partial metering/exposure lock metering is in effect in the program, shutter preferred, aperture preferred, manual and Auto-DEP modes.

In my experience, I have had very few problems with inadvertently taking multiple shots when the camera is set for continuous advance - the shutter release gives good tactile feedback.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Courtesy of my original manufacturer's instruction manual for my Rebel 2000/ES 300s:

The single shot advance applies in the full auto, landscape, close-up, night shot and Auto DEP modes as well.

And the partial metering/exposure lock metering is in effect in the program, shutter preferred, aperture preferred, manual and Auto-DEP modes.

In my experience, I have had very few problems with inadvertently taking multiple shots when the camera is set for continuous advance - the shutter release gives good tactile feedback.
    Hmm, my searching showed partial metering in manual only. I wonder if the 300n version lost a few features, it doesn't have a stop down button as shown in the manual, or mid roll rewind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I still have my Rebel X, my first "modern" SLR, and it works great. They're cheap enough on eBay to be nearly disposable, yet I've gotten some very nice photos out of mine. If you're looking for a cheap "just because" film camera to share lenses with your dslr... you could do a lot worse.
    Of course, as soon as I was able... I picked up an A2E. For the above reason, and the fact that I'd been lusting over them back when they were worth a lot of cabbage.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Originally Posted by zanxion72
    You might find film at the moment and even processing, but what would you do next year?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin