Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,370   Online: 875

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Compact EOS SLR?

I recently bought the Canon 40mm 2.8 pancake for my DSLR and really like it, and am wondering whether there are any EOS film cameras that would take the lens? Preferably something small-ish in keeping with the style. I have a range of FD cameras and glass but never got into their later bodies, so know very little about them, stuff like will the pancake auto focus?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a brand new Canon EOS 300 at a Camera Fair 3 or 4 years ago for £10, it's small and light. The seller had quite a few and I'd guess they came from bundled sets that were surplus stock. I bought an EOS (not film) for my wife a couple of months ago that was obviously from a bundled set and an image stabilised lens for my niece (separate sellers).

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'd look at the 500 or the 1000 as they are really small EOS bodies but still retain all the functionality of the lower body models.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    a 1V will set you back about $2-400, a 3 or 1n are about $1-300, a 5 might cost you $50-100.
    Besides those few, almost every other EOS film body are less than $30. Try out a rebel or something for extreme compactness. If you don't like whichever body you get you can just onsell it for a net loss of shipping-cost (if that).
    I use my 40mm on my EOS 3, it works great for street-shooting with the eye-control focus, and it's not too big for me (although it's a lot bigger than my Bessa R3A with Nokton 40/1.4).

Regarding AF, be aware that there was a product advisory about the AF on the 40mm not working in certain circumstances.
    It only affected the first few made (like mine, I bought it the day after it was announced), it happens on my 3 (and d***l) occasionally, but the disconnect-reconnect workaround works (I've never updated the firmware for a permanent fix, because I don't have a 5D3 or 1DX to do it).
    If you've bought it recently, no need to worry about any AF issues.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The EOS Rebel 2000 and EOS Elan are very light cameras due to the lower build quality. Great for walking around super compact 35mm. They are available from KEH for next to nothing. I bought one from KEH for $12, and the shutter turned out to be sticky. They said it wasn't worth shipping back and credited me the $12! Great people.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have a Rebel X, which is basically an EOS lens mount with a little bit of plastic wrapped around it. I think I paid US$6 for it at KEH---I was just looking the other day and inflation had brought that up to US$7 now. :-) Quite a functional little SLR, if plasticky-feeling. The electronics eventually died and I may buy another, if I ever get back to shooting much 35mm.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    I picked up a brand new Canon EOS 300 at a Camera Fair 3 or 4 years ago for £10, it's small and light. The seller had quite a few and I'd guess they came from bundled sets that were surplus stock. I bought an EOS (not film) for my wife a couple of months ago that was obviously from a bundled set and an image stabilised lens for my niece (separate sellers).

Ian
    The EOS 300 is also known as the EOS Rebel 2000 in North America - and is indeed very light and reasonably small.

It is even fairly light and small with the BP200 battery grip.

My 40mm pancake lens and it go together quite well .
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies, I'll check them all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    EOS 630 would be my suggestion.
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. In velit arcu, consequat at, interdum sit amet, consequat in, quam.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My pancake 40 is mounted to an Elan 7NE. Love it. When I finish the roll I'm switching it over to the RT, just for the smallness of it.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin