Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,919   Posts: 1,584,782   Online: 970

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Can anyone recommend a well made M42 adapter for Nikon camera?

Hi Guys,

I bought a Helios recently with a M42 thread for my Nikon.

I bought this adapter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Macro-M42-...item3cc2039997

which works but when the lens is mounted on the camera there is a slight rotational play where the adaptor is slightly too small for the Nikon mount. This is mostly noticeable when focusing and it is ANNOYING!!! Can anyone recommend one that will fit like a nikon lens does? Its driving me crazy! I love the lens

Thanks

Paul
    Speed Graphic, Fuji GX680,Pentax 67, Mamiya RZ67, Mamiya 645 1000s, Nikon F5, Nikon Fm2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both my Helios 44-2 lenses (different manufacturers) have a slight lateral/rotational (though not lenghtwise!) play between their helical barrel and their M42 mounting part.
    Thus even with the best adapter a play is likely to remain with your lens.

But that lens has such a long throw (small helical pitch) than such play is insignificant in focusing.
    Last edited by AgX; 10-26-2013 at 05:53 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is an interesting article written about a month back on lensrentals.com that examined adapters.

http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2013...-lens-adapters

I have used a few adapters in the past, Nikon f to Canon Ef, m42 to nikon f, om to canon Ef, ltm to m. I bought the inexpensive ones off eBay, they worked ok, didn't really encounter any problems. Though I used them in a digital application with a crop camera (problems from these adapters might be hidden as a smaller center image circle would be used). Most common problem was usually difficulty of getting them off the lenses. The only adapters I currently use now are the ltm adapters, and they have worked very well on my 50mm and 28mm lenses.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have not yet looked thoroughly into those graphics of that test (they are barely readible anyway), but I don't see how a non-optical adapter could significantly affect image quality in real life photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 10speeduk View Post
    Hi Guys,

I bought a Helios recently with a M42 thread for my Nikon.

I bought this adapter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Macro-M42-...item3cc2039997

which works but when the lens is mounted on the camera there is a slight rotational play where the adaptor is slightly too small for the Nikon mount. This is mostly noticeable when focusing and it is ANNOYING!!! Can anyone recommend one that will fit like a nikon lens does? Its driving me crazy! I love the lens

Thanks

Paul
    How are you achieving infinity focus? The flange distance for m42 is 45.46mm, that for Nikon F is 46.50, meaning the lens will be 1.04mm too far from the film to focus at infinity. Or does the adapter have optics?

Edit - There are F mount Helios lenses available that will focus properly. - http://www.commiecameras.com/sov/35m...nses/nikon.htm
    Last edited by E. von Hoegh; 10-26-2013 at 12:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    For an alternative adapter have a look at the website of SRB Griturn, based in Luton, Bedfordshire. They make almost any adapter you can mention or wish for. Common ones are not expensive but be-spoke ones can be pricy according to the complexity and if they need an optical element added to ensure you get infinity focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I have not yet looked thoroughly into those graphics of that test (they are barely readible anyway), but I don't see how a non-optical adapter could significantly affect image quality in real life photography.
    I would think the degree to which an adapter might not be perfectly parallel to the film plane would have an impact. Whether it would be an issue in "real life", I don't know.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That for sure would have an impact if doing 2D reproduction work. But for the rest of photo work there rarely is a intended plane of focus that is parallel to to the film plane anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The horizon at infinity requires the most critical lens to film alignment

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    But you got a huge DOF at infinity setting. That would come up for a play of a few 1/100mm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin