Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,974   Posts: 1,523,627   Online: 1068

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The 28mm f/3.5 was re-computed with a larger rear element, it gives more even illumination. Not sure exactly when, Roland's site says when it went to Ai but not sure. Bjorn Roslett also mentions it especially in context of IR and UV shooting. I will check my Eyes of Nikon and Joseph Cooper literature and get back to you.

Shooter
    35mm
    According to The Complete Nikon System the change to the size of the rear element was with the AI lens in January of 1977. The rear element is not very much larger than the one on the earlier 'K' lens but it is larger. The AIS had the same formula but a shorter focus throw and slightly different aperture click stop spacing. In addition to my two AI models I have three other 28/3.5 Nikkors. One is actually a CM lens. The older lenses are also good but have less even illumination in the corners at or near wide open. Some people assume that if a lens has the same maximum aperture and focal length, it must be just a cosmetically different lens. That's not always the case. The 35/2.8 'K' and the first version of the 35/2.8 AI were different from the earlier 35/2.8s (6 elements instead of 7) and also different from the late AI and AIS (5 elements instead of 6). The six element version is better than all of the earlier models and also better than the later 5 element lenses. If you only shot at f/8 or f/11 the differences between some lenses would not be as apparent but at or near wide open the differences show.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks that's very interesting. Mine is a K series so the 6 element version I guess.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yes Dynachrome; the 35mm f/2.8 is a prime example of similar lenses having different formula. Oh, and yes that one is really really good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    Yes Dynachrome; the 35mm f/2.8 is a prime example of similar lenses having different formula. Oh, and yes that one is really really good.
    I had a pre-ai 35/2.8 and a pre ai 35/2 (which was given to me with a stuck diaphragm. A screw has fallen out, jamming the diaphragm - Nikon's answer was "we no longer service lenses this old".)
    Anyway, after fixing the f:2 and comparing them, it seemed that the faster lens had more even illumination, so I traded off the 2.8. I now wish I'd kept both, because the 35/2.8 balances perfectly (along with the 50/2 and 28/3.5) on Nikon F, F2, and Nikkormat bodies.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Formulas, coatings , computer optimizations.... buy a hand calculated Leica lens and use your entire life.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you go by http://www.destoutz.ch the 2.8/35 has been re-computed at least twice. (The link appears to be dead; a tragedy.)
    Here's some good histories:
    http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/12/index.htm
    and
    http://imaging.nikon.com/history/nikkor/38/index.htm

And a look-at-all-my-stuff shot
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trio_800.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	632.2 KB 
ID:	77029

Hard to believe when digital first swept through these things were practically being thrown away. I imagine a 1.4/35 being tossed into the crusher at the ARC...
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    35mm
    Leica also changed the formulas of its lenses over time and certainly used computers to help in the redesigns when they became available. Some people got used to the signature of an older lens and preferred it to the newer one.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Mustafa please read the Nikkor One Thousand and One Nights; it points out that Nikon lenses were designed by individuals as well. Leica doesn't hold the patents to hand calculated lenses.

As per that site in reference to the Nikkor 35mm f/2.8 its been thru 3 optical versions (perhaps 4?). I have all three versions, and vastly prefer the K/Pre Ai.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    hand held 1/125 @ /5.6 you won't see much difference, when the light is less I'm in a coffee house...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin