Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,938   Posts: 1,585,641   Online: 816

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mystery object on focusing screen

Pulled my OM-1n out of the bag this morning and Yikes! saw this in the viewfinder. When I got it out I found it was a section of a flexible tube or band of some kind. It was sitting on the top surface of the screen. Any ideas what it might be? Something to be concerned about? Camera seems to be working fine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It won't affect the photographs as long as it is on the focusing screen, but whatever it is might migrate to where it can cause malfunctions. If it is on the top of the focusing screen, removal would require some camera disassembly. If it is on the lower surface, it is accessible when the lens is removed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    It won't affect the photographs as long as it is on the focusing screen, but whatever it is might migrate to where it can cause malfunctions. If it is on the top of the focusing screen, removal would require some camera disassembly. If it is on the lower surface, it is accessible when the lens is removed.
    The screens are interchangeable, therefore easily removeable once you take the lens off.
    Bit I'd be a lot more concerned with "where did it come from"?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got it out. But yes that is my concern: where did it come from?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Send this info to John at zuiko.com, and ask for a suggestion.

As an aside, if you had included a reference to Olympus OM1 in the thread title, John might very well have noticed the thread and responded without prompting.

EDIT: Also, keep the offending item - it may help a repair technician diagnose the problem.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I thought about contacting John, he serviced this camera a few years ago and it came back working better than new, if that is possible. Great repair guy. He would be the guy who could id the piece if anyone can. You are right, should have put the camera model in the header.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tube? Or deceased bug?
    Got a good magnifier?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tube for sure. Looks like a slice of surgical tubing, slightly yellowed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I always wondered what the viewfinder of an OM looked like. Simple and uncluttered.

Shooter
    35mm
    It is part of a broken shock absorber (silicon rubber ring). I suggest removing screen, gently blow off so the debris will not get jammed inside the meter or other important area. John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin