Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,073   Online: 1018

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Notables who used an SRT 101

Minolta SRT 101

I've been looking to get back into 35mm for a 'carry all the time camera' as well as picking up where I left off with my night photography a few years ago. I was going to go Nikon but after a setback with a body and the announcement of the Df (and it's ability to take even non AI lenses) it seemed like a rather expensive path back into a 35mm SLR system. Pentax (the system I regret selling a few years ago) lenses are still kinda high so I decided to go Minolta. I wanted 100% view finder coverage, a manual shutter and mirror lock up. Being built like a tank is also a plus. So....

I ended up with a minty looking late model Minolta SRT 101 for next to nothing. After doing some reading I discovered that W. Eugene Smith used this camera for his "MINAMATA" work which got me wondering if there were any other notable photographers who used this camera over the years?

Yes, yes... any camera can make good pictures; it's the photographer; only the image matters. I'm well aware of these facts. =) I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance!

Shawn
    Last edited by Shawn Dougherty; 11-08-2013 at 11:33 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, there's me ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom
    http://silverdarkroom.wordpress.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown View Post
    Well, there's me ...
    I can see why. It seems like a great camera. Tough and simple. Everything you need, nothing to get in the way.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Annie Leibovitz described it as 'her first real camera'.

I also noticed recently that the 35mm shift lens now sells for more than I paid for it when new!

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de
    D.S. Allen, fotograf.

Neue 3D Ausstellung/New 3D exhibition: www.german-fine-arts.com/berlin.html
    Neue Fotos/New Photos: http://shop.german-fine-arts.com/d-s-allen.html
    Vita/CV: www.german-fine-arts.com/allen.php

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My wife worked in, and then managed a camera store during the mid 70's. She said the SRT-101 was their best selling camera far and away to the extent that they sold them more by the pound than by the unit! BUT, they also took them in for repair in those volumes as well. I had one, and loved it.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I passed up a clean one, at a local thrift store for $20. I sort of wish I had snagged it, but I have cameras using three mounts already and didn't need a fourth. I hadn't seen one in decades, and had forgotten just what nice cameras they are. Rokkor lenses can be very good, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Picked two up last winter and love it. The meter is broken in one but everything else works fine. The other even came in the original box. Both came with a 50mm Rokkor f/1.2. How can you go wrong?

but I have cameras using three mounts already
    I think it makes for or 5 mounts for me. So what!
    All this has happened before, and all this will happen again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kb3lms View Post
    Picked two up last winter and love it. The meter is broken in one but everything else works fine. The other even came in the original box. Both came with a 50mm Rokkor f/1.2. How can you go wrong?

I think it makes for or 5 mounts for me. So what!
    I'm in recovery. 39mmLTM, 42mm, and Nikon will suffice to get me in plenty of trouble.

Shooter
    35mm
    I put the SR-T and Spotmatic in that same favored class where price was not really an object but quality was profound. It is a bit like the Buicks of the 50s and 60s: priced well under the luxury class but 'those in the know' knew that the quality was truly there. The marketplace affirmed this. After years of doing minor (stress minor) repairs I can gladly affirm that those two cameras, overall, gave me the least problems.

But, of course, if there are newcomers here who want to read that as affirmation that they should get one of those, and ONLY one of those, I say this: Watch your mileage! An overly used Spotmatic or SR-T WILL give you problems a lot sooner than will a newish Yashica, Autoreflex, or, yes, even Zenit (ie, one that actually had quality control). - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I shot my Dad's Pentax H3 for 50 years, Sunny 16 only. Gave it to a nephew who promptly lost it and I have replaced it, with the jewel like, Pentax MX, which I will never let go.

Shot a Minolta 16 and contact printed the negs when I was 9 in 1960, I wasn't allowed to get an enlarger.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin