Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,257   Online: 851

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Lyga View Post
    mark: Does the weight really help with this?
    I was joking a bit but yes, increasing the total mass of the camera with the mirror mass and speed remaining the same reduces the effect of mirror slap.

Whether or not that makes any difference on a given shot is open.

The reason I was joking is that the extra weight takes more effort to hold and that may add to camera shake.

I do hand carry this regularly but when shots are important I like to use a monopod or tripod.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    I sold off my Nikkor 105mm f2.5.
    Unfortunately, I've had to report you to the Bureau of Traditions and Legacies Enforcement. I'm truly sorry, I did it for the children.

s-a
    I photograph things to see what things look like photographed.
    - Garry Winogrand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by semi-ambivalent View Post
    Unfortunately, I've had to report you to the Bureau of Traditions and Legacies Enforcement. I'm truly sorry, I did it for the children.

s-a
    Giggle

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That sort of focal length is probably the limit for getting away with hand held.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    That sort of focal length is probably the limit for getting away with hand held.
    Actually not, I shoot to 300mm regularly, great for picking people out in a crowd. Just need to keep shutter speeds up, 400 speed films are great here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had a Canon FD 70-210L lens for more than 20 years and don't use it half as much as my Canon FD 28-85 f4 which is to me a much more useful do everything walk around lens.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have had a Canon FD 70-210L lens for more than 20 years and don't use it half as much as my Canon FD 28-85 f4 which is to me a much more useful do everything walk around lens.
    While I am inclined to agree with David re the ubiquity of the (70)80-200(210)mm lenses, I, too, benjiboy, find myself turning to my 28-70 F2.8mm ED at least as much as I do to my 80-200mm F2.8 ED Nikkor. That said, I still prefer (and use) primes for the majority of my shooting.
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a 28-80 2.8 Tokina and one day want to upgrade it to the Nikon. That range is very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The words "Telephoto" and "Zoom" were marketed heavily in the 1970s and 1980s. A 80-200 combines both words, thus making it very marketable. The ubiquity of these lenses is due to marketing. I can't say I don't own one, because 80-200mm lenses sometimes come free when you buy a body. Personally I don't find the combination (zoom + telephoto) very useful.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Sigma 28-200 that hasn't seen the light of day for 20 years, but was quite useful when stopped down and reasonably compact. The general buying trend used to be 50 with the camera body, then 28 and/or 135. The telephoto morphed into 70-210, after which the 1990s kit zoom idea took off, first at 35-70, then 28-85.

Ebay is bursting with unbranded zoom lenses of modest apertures. Some are okay if good light, but they've fallen from fashion.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin