Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,359   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minolta 50mm 1.7 Rokkor question...

Hey gang,
    I have an old Minolta SRT-101 with a few lenses which I aquired from my dad back in the day. I let a friend of mine borrow the 50mm 1.7 Rokkor that came with it and he lost it. It was in perfect shape, so he gave me $150 to make up for it (sucker, they go for $20 or less on eBay). I want to buy another 50mm lens so that it will make the camera complete again. I was wondering which 50mm Minolta lens was the sharpest, best lens they made?
    Thanks in advance (you guys never let me down),
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always thougth the 1.7 was the best one of all of them. I have the 1.4 and 1.7 versions. The 1.7's are cheap, fast 'nuf. I don't think an extra .3 stops is worth it getting the 1.4. The 1.7 version I have is 49mm thread and the 1.4 is 55mm filters. I forgot the site but dang, it was comparing all the 50mm from Canon, Nikon, Konica and Minolta, need to find the bookmark on another computer but the lowly 50mm 1.7 was just under the performance of the Leica 50mm. But that's if you like to shoot pictures of walls and newspapers You know what I'm talking 'bout...those guys who buy lenses and just do performance testing out of it by shooting USAF resolution charts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When, I shot Minolta MF gear, the 1.7 was on of my favorite, especailly for steet work and other work that needed a normal perspective, for MF cameras, it is one the best values in the market even to this day, I doubt you would be able to get a better lens for this camera even with all the new developments in lens designs by the after market companies.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with the earlier posters about the 1.7. However, I think the 45mm f2 is very very sharp, and of course is also very cheaply obtained.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Ara,
    You might want to check out The Rokkor Files
    The chap who runs it has a rather extensive list of rokkor lenses tested...It may be of some help to you.
    FWIW though, I use a 50mm f1.7 extensively with my X-700 and it gives great results...Both MC and MD mounts of this lens are really cheap, even from KEH.

Cheers,
    Kent
    Max Power, he's the man who's name you'd love to touch! But you mustn't touch! His name sounds good in your ear, but when you say it, you mustn't fear! 'Cause his name can be said by anyone!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Some time ago, I sold every scrap of Minolta gear I owned...except the 50/1.7!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What did you put the lens on?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    What did you put the lens on?
    I was kind of wondering the same thing?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=eric]The 1.7 version I have is 49mm thread and the 1.4 is 55mm filters. /QUOTE]

My 50mm, is a 55mm thread, and it says MD Rokkor-X on the filter ring?

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first real camera lens was a 50mm1.4 Rokkor MD sitting on the front of an XD-11 camera. Nice setup, I am sure whomever stole it got good use (or money) out of it. It was replaced by a SRT with a 1.7 and I didn't notice any difference in sharpness of image, there in my formative days. As a matter of fact, the ONLY Minolta equipment I have been unhappy with was a XG body with a 50mm 2.0 lens on it I think. Junk. I gave it all away and bought my FM2 with incomparable Nikor glass in it. Never looked back. I think you will be happy with either the 1.4 or the 1.7,

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin