Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,765   Posts: 1,484,088   Online: 956

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    That particular lens should be sharply focused at infinity when the focus ring hits the stop. However, it is not uncommon for a lens to be designed to focus beyond infinity, as your lens apparently does, to compensate for thermal expansion. If the lens operates properly in all other respects, I would not send it in for a CLA.
    Mine does it also.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    What is past infinity? Please answer using engineering terms, not metaphorical psychobabble.
    If you consider the distance from film to lens when focused to infinity to be x, Increasing x focuses on things closer. Making x smaller than it's infinity value is effectively past infinity.

In the real world, this greater than infinity distance doesn't exist - but if it did, it would be in focus!!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been working on acquiring a full stable of MF Nikon lenses, sending them in for cleaning as necessary, and at one point several years ago one came back focusing past infinity. I called the repair shop (one of the most respected, most recommended Nikon repair facilities) and talked with the technician about it. He said that at a Nikon workshop they'd been told that some of the AF cameras won't pick up focus at infinity in manual focus mode and give the green light unless you focus past infinity and come back from there, and they'd been told to make the lenses go past to solve that issue.

I estimate focus a lot (the particular lens was a 28mm), so I sent the lens back, and he set it right, warning me that from now on I should tell them if I wanted to keep the lens as it had originally been made.

People on other boards start arguing with me about whether this is necessary or not (infinity should be pretty easy to find without the dot, shouldn't it?), so don't start in on me--I'm just repeating what the technician told me. I can believe it--some camera users are pretty dumb (for instance, I note that today on another forum someone's asking what the proper AF selection points woud be for landscapes, since his camera isn't giving him sharp landscapes).

Anyway, I wonder if your lens may have had a CLA in the last few years, and that might be what causes the problem.

The other cause would be if your camera's mirror needs adjustment. This tends to show up on wide angle lenses more than teles, as an infinity that's slightly off, one way or another, and seems to be a very common problem with older cameras. I've had this on two OM1s, a Hasselblad, and a couple of Nikons. You need to eliminate this possibility before you start in "fixing" lenses that aren't broken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahh. I got sidetracked I guess and was wondering how far (mm, inches, yards, kilometers) past infinity "past infinity" was.

Like you said earlier... I've never seen nor heard of a Nikkor that didn't stop at the infinity index mark. Something wrong with that lens probably. If the infinity index is offset, I wonder if the others are equally offset.
    Or if it's the OPs only lens and there's a problem with the camera body. No one else seems to have picked up on that, and the OP hasn't answered.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    using the end stop on the focus ring for fitting or removing lens is not a wonderful idea

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ahh. I got sidetracked I guess and was wondering how far (mm, inches, yards, kilometers) past infinity "past infinity" was.
    I believe the measurement you seek is "furlongs per fortnight".
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Large Format
    The OP spoke of Nikon, and I've had a fair amount of experience working on Hasselblads, which are supposedly divinely made. And from what I have been able to tell, "infinity" is all over the place on Hass'. I haven't been able to pin down any kind of "infinity" on any of them yet. So far, a well-adjusted Crown Graphic and Kalart has them all beat.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jayel View Post
    My lens when I turn it all the way to the right should be focused well at infinity, but I have to turn it back about 2mm for it to be completely sharp. Is this normal, or do I need to get it repaired. Thanks
    check if your other lenses work as you expect them to.It may not be the lens but the focus screen in your camera that needs an adjustment. this was the case with my Mamiya 6.anywaymy newAF50f/1.4 does focus at infinity at the infinity markAS ONE WOULD EXPECT.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I believe the measurement you seek is "furlongs per fortnight".
    parasecs per aeon if you please sir

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had, and still have, this lens (50/1.4 ai) for so many years. A couple of years ago it started to stop short of infinity. I took it apart with the help of an online guide and moved it a little and now it's spot on. If I remember right the adjustment done by loosening a small screw and moving a brass disk that lives beneath the front element a little bit and checking until you get infinity right.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin