Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,104   Online: 1007

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Goodwll undoubtedly is not a place where you'll find rocket scientists and emergency surgeons employed there. As far as a "bad vibe", half the population of the US gives me one of those these days. I just try to ignore it and go on.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by vsyrek1945 View Post
    Seattle Goodwill is evidently slow to ship. I won a Starblitz flash unit at their location on 11/5, paid for it on 11/6, and saw the item status finally change to 'Shipped' on 11/13, with scheduled delivery on 11/19.

I had a similar experience with Tacoma Goodwill: won the auction and paid for a Mamiya MSX 500 on October 28, and waited until November 4 for the status to change to 'shipped' with a tracking number. I e-mailed requesting a status update, but received no reply. The MSX 500 was shipped UPS ground, and the trip from Tacoma to Long Island took a solid week. The camera was finally delivered Monday, a full two weeks after auction end and payment.

Why these Washington state offices hold shipments a week after receiving payment is a mystery

By contrast, items from Goodwill of Middle Tennessee in Nashville, Goodwill of Great Falls (Montana), Goodwill of the Heartland (Iowa City, IA), and Goodwill of Central Florida in Orlando were shipped the day after payment, with the Iowa and Tennessee branches shipping via Priority Mail, no less.

I didn't note your location, but the fall foliage peak will certainly have passed before your Super Program is delivered. One bit of advice from personal experience: don't try to dry-fire the Super Program in any other shutter speed than X125 without first verifying its batteries are good (I've jammed up more than one M- and A- series Pentax body that way).

Thanks and best regards,
    Vince

Thanks! I'm in southern Florida, so we have no clue what fall foliage peak is (perpetual summer here)! Also, thanks for the tip about dry firing at X125. Just out of curiosity, if the batteries are going bad and the camera locks up, is it a permanent lock up that requires a trip to the repair shop, or will it self correct when you insert a new set of batteries?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have bid and "won" articles in Seattle Goodwill and they were very fast with handling and shipping with tracking #'s supplied but have noticed a substantial increase in the shipping costs to Canada. The higher costs must have to do with them shipping the product from Seattle to California before it makes it to Vancouver BC... ?

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dances_w_clouds View Post
    I have bid and "won" articles in Seattle Goodwill and they were very fast with handling and shipping with tracking #'s supplied but have noticed a substantial increase in the shipping costs to Canada. The higher costs must have to do with them shipping the product from Seattle to California before it makes it to Vancouver BC... ?

They charged me $16.00 standard shipping from Seattle to Florida. It was almost the same amount I paid for the camera! At this point I'll be truly surprised if they even ship it to me at all. Worst case scenario it will be yet another learning experience for me. Next time I'll stick to reliable used camera dealers I have dealt with in the past like KEH.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    They charged me $16.00 standard shipping from Seattle to Florida. It was almost the same amount I paid for the camera! At this point I'll be truly surprised if they even ship it to me at all. Worst case scenario it will be yet another learning experience for me. Next time I'll stick to reliable used camera dealers I have dealt with in the past like KEH.
    Me too,GW's lack of padding in the box, the shipping charges and long wait make it not worth it. You can win something nice and it will be wrecked by time it gets to you.
    APUG: F, F/FTN,F2,F2A,F2AS,F3,F3HP,FA,FE,FM,FM2,FE2,XK,XM,XD, XD-5,XD-7,XD-11,XE,XE-5,XE-7,SRT101,SRT102,XG9,XG7,XG1,XG-SE,XG-M,X700,OM-1,OM-1n,OM-2,OM-2n,OM-4,F-1,F-1N,AE-1P,R5,500C/M,SCII
    DPUG:D100,D200,D300

Shooter
    127 Format
    Seattle people are not in the best of moods this time of year. Not the "Bluest Skies you've Ever Seen" in November.

No Birds,

No Bees,

No Leaves on the Trees,

No Wonder,

November!
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fstop View Post
    Me too,GW's lack of padding in the box, the shipping charges and long wait make it not worth it. You can win something nice and it will be wrecked by time it gets to you.
    Great. Now I'm even less enthusiastic about my purchase through Shopgoodwill. They sent me an email message a couple of days ago advising that my order had finally shipped. However, when I click on the tracking info a message pops up telling me

"UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later."

I tried several times yesterday and today but keep getting the same message. I'm starting to think this was a big mistake...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great. Now I'm even less enthusiastic about my purchase through Shopgoodwill. They sent me an email message a couple of days ago advising that my order had finally shipped. However, when I click on the tracking info a message pops up telling me

"UPS could not locate the shipment details for your request. Please verify your information and try again later."

I tried several times yesterday and today but keep getting the same message. I'm starting to think this was a big mistake...
    I had a very similar problem and I was getting seriously stressed, right up to the point where it showed up in my mailbox. I think they generate shipping labels on-line, print them and then collect the packages until they have a bunch to go out. I actually purposely buy a lot from the Goodwill Auctions as I hope I am helping someone out a little bit each time. In all this time I have had dozens show late, but not a single one arrived damaged or came up missing. I guess there is a 1st time for everything and somewhere, someone, has probably had this happen. Just try to relax and remind yourself it is not coming from Adorama or such like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

That always happens. Several days after it was shipped is how I found it was shipped here Seattle-Vancouver BC via California. All the times I never had a problem with any Goodwill. Slow yes but never lost (knock on wood).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, so much for good will! And I agree, stick w/ KEH, although I've had good luck w/ Collectible Cameras too. Unlike KEH, they will grab the gear off the shelf and tell you what's up on the phone. One day someone named Will answered the phone there, and I swear he sounded like the same guy that once was at KEH, so maybe there's a connection. And of course, both of these places know cameras and are knowledgeable, unlike thrift store workers. As for the shipping, that's just how it is. I don't think it's that much cheaper anywhere else to ship a camera these days, as a USPS medium priority box is about $13, and that's w/o the peanuts, bubble wrap, time to pack it, etc.
    Last edited by momus; 11-19-2013 at 07:20 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin