Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,467   Posts: 1,570,736   Online: 1109

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I agree wholeheartedly. Please do not bid on any more camera deals at ShopGoodwill. Hopefully this will keep things a bit less expensive for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not having an expert to tell how much an item would be worth is one of the best reasons to shop Goodwill. Several years ago I purchased a Canon FL 55/1.2 from Seattle Goodwill because they thought it would not sell because it was so old and heavy. I got it for a very small sum. Both parties were happy. Caveat emptor

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron View Post
    Thanks! I'm in southern Florida, so we have no clue what fall foliage peak is (perpetual summer here)! Also, thanks for the tip about dry firing at X125. Just out of curiosity, if the batteries are going bad and the camera locks up, is it a permanent lock up that requires a trip to the repair shop, or will it self correct when you insert a new set of batteries?
    Sometimes they cleared with fresh batteries, some times the camera needed a little "help" in the form of a firm smack on the base plate. One only came clear after "help" from a rubber mallet [After all, I didn't want to leave any dents] A couple didn't recover at all, and wound up in the "eBay parts/repair" box.

Shooter
    35mm
    If I may toss in a thought to add to all of your comments on this subject.

I also purchase from SGW.com and enjoy having them as a source for cameras and accessories. I don't like that their shipping and handling is sometimes a bit expensive. But I also realize that it is a charity who's purpose is not to save you money, but instead to help enrich the lives of others, give them work and job skills and to help out those in need.

So that $50 camera you purchased for $10 and paid $12 for shipping on still cost less then what it would have otherwise, you helped a good cause and ensured that a camera found a good home and a person/people who might not otherwise have work had a job.

Isn't that more important then complaining that your gear costs a few extra dollars to ship or isn't packaged with 100% perfect packing materials?

Just food for thought.

Shooter
    35mm
    Update:

I finally got my Pentax Super Program from Shopgoodwill.com today. From the time of purchase to the delivery day was 16 days.
    It arrived in a well packaged box (I will give them credit for doing a good job on the packaging as it was inside a plastic bag in the middle of several layers of bubble wrap). As for the camera itself; it works!! It does have a couple of tiny dings on top of the prism near the hot shoe plus the usual signs of slight ware on the bottom plate. It came with a digital data back and a body cap (even the finger grip is still on the camera). Only issue is that there were batteries in the data back and they were a bit corroded. No big deal as I have never been a fan of data backs anyway, so I don't really care much if it works or not. I tested the shutter speeds, metering and shooting modes; all appear to work well except for the frame counter. Frame counter is stuck on 36 and will not reset.

Overall impression? I don't feel they took advantage of me (I got what I paid for; nothing more, nothing less) and the camera is pretty much as I expected; somewhere between KEH's BGN and EX grade.

My gripes:

- Definitely # 1 gripe is the lack of communication. I don't feel I should have to have emailed and called them so much to find out about the status of my order.

- # 2 would be the long time it took to ship the camera (from purchase to arrival).

- Overall price I paid wasn't that much cheaper than if I had purchased it from ebay or similar.

- It would have been nice if they had mentioned the frame counter was not working before I spent any time bidding on this camera.

Will I buy from shopgoodwill.com again? Not sure. Probably if there is a camera I like available for local pick up, then maybe. Will I bid on anything from the Seattle store? Maybe if they offer a Leica M3 single stroke for under $200...
    Last edited by snegron; 11-25-2013 at 06:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good to hear it arrived. Perhaps they should have communicated better, but there was a time in the not-so-distant past when 16 days would have been considered well within the norm for shipping.
    Truzi

Shooter
    35mm RF
    How much money are we talking about?

The first time that I bought from Goodwill, I was surprised by the shipping and handling. I always was sure to look at those costs and factor that into how much I was willing to pay for a camera.

I didn't carp too much, because I figured (was hoping) that the money was helping employ someone whose life wasn't as fortunate as mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And E-Bay??? Are you serious?? You really mean that you would rather enrich the E-Bay/Paypal cartel rather then help out your fellow man a bit?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    And E-Bay??? Are you serious?? You really mean that you would rather enrich the E-Bay/Paypal cartel rather then help out your fellow man a bit?
    And what makes you so sure that the individual selling on eBay is not in a bit? Buy from where you are comfortable doing business and can get a deal on your purchase that is in the condition and with service you are willing to accept. With eBay you at least have some buyer protections, I doubt that Goodwill has the same.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've bought a few things from Goodwill.com and have never had an issue. Shipping varied from a few days to a few weeks - just depends on the store and their shipping set-up.

I still have my Super Program that I bought new in 1985. It's been my go-to camera for years. In fact, I was thinking about getting another. It's a great camera, and it still meters perfectly. I had the shutter checked about a year ago, and it's still spot on.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin