Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,479   Online: 1073

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dynachrome View Post
    The E screen in this series was for the FE. The E2 screen was made for the FE2. The E3 screen was made for the FM3A. If you use a screen in a camera it was not originally made for you will have to provide some exposure compensation. The Nikon F2 went out of production in 1980 and did not have, as far as I know, an E type screen as bright as that of the FM3A (E3). A benefit of using the F2 is that it shows very little distortion in the finder. The actual distortion a lens has will show up looking the same on any body but an F2, for example, shows less finder distortion than a Nikkormat FT3.
    True, the E screen for the F/F2 series is not as bright as the E3; however, I find the viewfinder of my F2S to be bigger and MUCH clearer than that of my FM2n, so even though the former is not as bright, it's still easier to focus.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    The type 'E' screen is a popular one. I have one each for my two Nikon F2 bodies. It's a more open screen in the sense that there is no distracting focusing "aid" right in the center of the field of view, obscuring the composition. And for asymmetric-seeing people like me who couldn't hold a level building or horizon if our life depended on it, it's gridded lines are a life-saver.

Many Nikon users will tell you that a Nikon equipped with the plain, unadorned, non-metered prism together with a plain, unadorned screen consisting of nothing more than the ground glass itself is the purest form of 35mm framing and focusing there is. Heck, even my 8x10 ground glass has faint lines.

Ken
    The 1st thing I did after buying my Nikon Fs was to remove the split image screen and replace them with the coarse fresnel B screen with the fine flat matte 12mm center circle....the E without the grid...and I did have one F fitted with an E as well....and for 40 years enjoyed focusing ANYwhere on the screen, quickly and intuitively, just like the current Nikon AF screen of today...the split image, or microprism found in other cameras such as the Nikkormat FS I had, was just too much of an ATTRACTION...the center-spot focusing aid a potential distraction from the rest of the image...I credit those many years' experience with giving me a pretty good ratio of keepers with the finer focusing screens found on dSLRs of today.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, I just received the FM3A split screen and installed it (easier than I thought).

If there is any difference in the metering, then it's pretty small as far as I can tell (but that was just from pointing at the same spot on the wall, before and after swapping the screens). Is there anything that I should be looking out for?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin