Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,967   Posts: 1,523,371   Online: 1194

Thread: Lens question

Shooter
    35mm

Lens question

As some of you know, as the only film photographer in my family and friend circle, I get a lot of "garage" items given to me, some usable, some not. My latest "Saw this and thought of you" gift is a Vivitar wide angle 28/2.5 s/n 22316782, 62mm filter size, in Nikon pre AI mount.
    Anyone familiar with this lens? Is it a keeper or junk? How old is it?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I was never impressed with those early Vivitar lenses.

For an estimated value, go to Ebay, Advanced Search, and click on Completed Auctions. There should be a few lenses matching your lens description, with the sold price.
    —Eric

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That lens came in two varieties, one with a 62mm filter thread, and one with a 67mm thread. I have the latter in both M42 and Canon FD mount, and I think that it is a fine lens, although prone to flare. This is from a roll that I shot with the Canon yesterday:

Canon A1, Kodak BW400CN, Vivitar 28/2.5 by Greyscale3, on Flickr

I believe that your is the newer version. The first two numbers of the serial number (22) show that it was manufactured by Kiron for Vivitar.

http://camera-wiki.org/wiki/Vivitar_serial_numbers
    Last edited by elcabezagrande; 11-16-2013 at 12:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info, from what I'm reading it was introduced in 1969, the 67mm filter mount was introduced in the 70's with a rubberized grip, most users say it's a descent lens so I'll give it a try, seems to be prone to flair so I guess I'll start looking for a 62mm hood

Shooter
    35mm
    I first had this lens in High School in Konica mount. After I started collecting I got many more of them. I now have it in mounts for Konica, Minolta, Canon FD, M42, Olympus OM and Nikon AI. It's quite a good lens. All 28mm lenses need to be used with care in flare situations. Vivitar later made a 28/2.5 TX lens (interchangeable mounts). It's a decent lens but not as good as the Fixed Mount 28/2.5.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin