Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,088   Online: 1161

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by whowantstoast View Post
    It's one of my oddest preferences, but I love my Petri FTX.
    I have a Petri FT rebadged as an Exakta TL500 - it is quite nice to use but as good as my Spotmatic SP1000.

Shooter
    35mm
    All revealing entries here.

My only hesitation is the Yashica body: the 'X' (electronic) is more reliable than the simple 'Electro' (mechanical). I have had problems with that. But the Yashica lenses are tops.

On the other hand, there definitely was reason for taking a full four years of R&D in order to bring the Spotmatic to the marketplace. It is truly a refined instrument. But I am happiest to see that its predecessor, the H1a and S series, get its due. For me, at least, the aesthetic appeal of that earlier body is first in line as the most beautiful ever created. And, to boot, its mechanics were excellent and durable and desirable to behold.

Not as 'sexy', the Mamiya DTL series was, nevertheless, reliable and its Mamiya lenses also excellent. The Fuji ST series was one of the unheralded champions of the M42 genre, also.

These cameras mentioned by posters were mostly all great, and, yes, AgX, even if you have 'only' a Zenit, if it got quality control and works well, you also have an excellent, albeit limited in function, camera. The Helios 2/58 is a truly great lens.

But, not mentioned are the Ricoh TLS and various Chinon bodies. All have durability and functions that were noteworthy and robust and just plain fun to work with. - David Lyga
    Last edited by David Lyga; 11-18-2013 at 07:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The Spotmatic F which I stupidly sold last year!

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Steve, we are in the digital age. That means that you should be given an opportunity to repurchase what you threw away. The current marketplace is very charitable towards folks like yourself who made the wrong move. - David Lyga

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know, but I have three non F Spotmatics so I think I'm still ok!

... and some M42 mount Zenits and Prismaflexes.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hold on, tenaciously. (And then some.) - David Lyga

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely a Spotmatic F, I still have one as well as an early Spotmatic.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I've only got a Cosina CSL - cloth shutter electronically timed, split image center, microprism doughnut & ground outer each usable for focusing, easy to use does not use battery (but needs silver cell) until you stop down or use the shutter - real cheap.

Not as nice as a K1000 or OM1 though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    Alpa Si 2000

excellent f/1.4 55 mm lens
    auto exposure aperture priority 2 to 1/2ooo sec shutter speed with vertical metal fp shutter
    viewfinder blind for long exposures.
    heavy machined brass body to lessen camera shake
    ASA range 25 to 3200
    over and under exposure compensation dial
    full aperture metering

I'd forgotten the Chinon CE II Memotron sold also as an Alpa with very minor cosmetic changes, the Chinons were surprisingly good cameras and their standard lenses amongst the best available at the time.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, I have only two m42 bodies, a Pentax H1a and a Yashica TL Super. Of the two I prefer the Yashica mainly for the mirror lockup feature - and the price of $2.15 with a Yashinon DX 50/2 lens that is excellent. I'd say the build quality is about equal, but a sample size of two is hardly significant.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin