Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,960   Posts: 1,523,112   Online: 965

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF

Favorite M42 mount 35mm SLR

What is your favorite M42 mount camera and why??

For me it would be the Yashica TL Electro-X and the Pentax Spotmatic.

Both are well built cameras and come with some of the finest M42 lens made.
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Pentax SV is an absolute jewel. It is as smooth and nice to work with as any camera I have ever owned. The only problem I ever have is that the shutter is not real fond of very low temperatures.

If I feel the need for a built in meter (usually in low light situations) I grab my Spotmatic ESII, but I usually prefer working with the SV.

My favorite M42 lens, probably of all time, is my Pentax Super Tak 50/1.4.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is my Spotmatic SP1000. That might be because I spent years wanting a Spotmatic but being unable to afford one by a very large margin. Bought this one earlier this year for £5.00.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer View Post
    My favorite M42 lens, probably of all time, is my Pentax Super Tak 50/1.4.
    This is a fine lens.. The Yashica 50mm f/1.4 DS-M lens is also equally as good so I have 2 outstanding M42 50's..
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Large Format
    My favorite M42 body? It's a toss-up between the Asahi Pentax Spotmatic SP and the Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic-F
    In actual usage, the F wins by a large margin.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    I dig on my Spotmatic SP. I wish it was a black paint one, but it does everything a camera should.

Shooter
    35mm
    The Pentax SV, S1a, or any of the Spotmatics were just delightful to use. An advertising slogan used by Pentax when these were new was:-

'Just hold a Pentax'

One you had you knew what they were talking about. Anything else was an 'also ran'. They didn't come anywhere near for quality, balance and reliability. They had a microprism focussing aid in the centre of the screen which has never been bettered. Absolutely superb.

One little quirk that came with the S1a and Spotmatic SP500 models was, the shutter speed dial had one extra notch AFTER the 1/500th sec mark. This was actually the unmarked 1/1000 sec position for the other more 'sophistocated' models. In fact it was the same shutter with a 1/1000th second position but the shutter speed was not calibrated for accuracy (but in fact was usually not far off).

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I love the Yashica TL Electro X, I currently own several of them, but I am growing ever fonder of my SPII. I also have an H2 that needs a CLA, but it is a beautiful work of art. And also a couple of J-series Yashicas that are waiting there turn, but they have build quality that rivals the Pentax. But really, I have not met an M42 body that I did not like.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Spotmatic, a Spotmatic II and a Spotmatic F. I never really liked the stop down metering or clicking on and off of the stop down switch on the first two cameras. My other M42 cameras include a Chinon, a Yashica a number of Vivitar 220SLs and a Mamiya 500DTL. The Mamiya is probably my favorite. Pressing in the wide lever to stop the lens down is a lot more pleasant. I also get the spot and averaging metering. Now that I think of it I do have some other M42 cameras. I have two Richoh Singlex IIs, a Ricoh TLS 401 and two Ricoh Auto TLS EEs. Recently I started collecting Mamiya SX cameras and lenses. I have the MSX 1000, MSX 500, DSX 1000, DSX 500 and a Sears TLS 1000MX. I think the Sears camera is the same as the MSX 1000. I am not including them in my list of M42 cameras because the SX mount is a little different and allows the SX lenses to meter at full aperture. At some point I should add a Mamiya 1000DTL. The 500DTL has no self timer and is supposed to be more reliable. I have seen pictures of the 2000DTL but never a real one. That would also be interesting to have. The 2000DTL and the Olympus OM4 series may be the only cameras to have a cloth horizontally running shutter a top shutter speed of 1/2000. The Canon F-1, Nikon F2 and Minolta XK cameras all had horizontally running titanium foil shutters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me, it would be the Spotmatic F.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin