Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,089   Online: 1125

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks guys, very useful info.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the later version of the retina II. The wind on is just a knob, and you have to cock the shutter separately, so there is no delicate rack and pinion
    but this makes it slower to operate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Retina-ii-2-_zpsa68126c7.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	77138

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A very fine camera, the f2 lenses (Schneider Xenon or Rodenstock Rodagon) are quite good for their time. As others have suggested, treat the winding mechanism with respect and care. Operate it slowly, steadily and never force it. At the end of the stroke you will have to overcome a small resistance, when the shutter is cocked, that is normal. The frame counter will count backwards and the winding lever will be blocked when it indicates "frame 1". You can only wind again after resetting the frame counter. Leave the film unwound/shutter uncocked when you put away the camera. I recommend getting a PDF manual from butkus.org to get accustomed with the operation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a nearly mint lllC that i bought last summer but haven't used much. I hope to have more time for it soon. A quirky little camera but they produce very nice images.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you ever remove the frame counter dial, be careful with the counter spring that is in there. It breaks very easily, and then the frame counter will no longer work unless you find another spring. Micro-Tools used to sell this spring - not sure if they still do.

The lens is single coated, so be mindful of where light sources sit.

The Xenon lens is excellent.

The body is a bit small, and with the lens door open, there isn't much room for your right hand to grasp the camera. This is always an issue with lens doors that open side to side rather than top to bottom. All Retinas open side to side.

The Retina IIa lever wind (there was a Retina IIa knob wind) is among the most popular of the Retinas and considered by many to be the last of the true folding Retinas. Personally, I find them all very interesting.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks again guys for all the advice. My Retina IIa arrived this morning and it is a beautiful little camera in almost pristne condition. It was a nice day and so I loaded it with FP4, set the shutter to 1/100 and aperture to f8 and went for a walk. I could actually fit it in my pocket still in it's case. I only took one picture, but time will tell.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin