Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,436   Online: 1004

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Kodak Retina IIa Folder

I have recently acquired a Kodak Retina IIa Folder with a Schneider-Kreuznach Xenon 2/50 mm. I have never used one of these before and wondered if anyone familiar with this camera could give me any tips or advice. I must admit I like the design and am looking forward to putting a film through it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have my grandfather's Retina II from 1940 with the f/2 Xenon and it is a great camera. I have a lot of fun with it. I think you'll enjoy yours. It's a bit slow to use compared to modern cameras, but that's part of the charm, I think. Here's a shot I took with it to test the rangefinder's accuracy at close distances. It worked better than expected after all these years:

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm
    In their day a superb bit of equipment and still is providing:- So long as the shutter works accurately and there is no sloppiness in the folding mechanism. The lens isn't scratched or has fungus, and finally the rangefinder (if it is a model with one) works, you have a lovely piece of lightweight kit. The Xenon lens was a beauty! Being all mechanical most of the faults if there are any can be sorted out or made to work in a reasonable fashion.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have later Retinas with similar lenses which are excellent. The wind-on like all Retinas has a cocking rack and pinion which is the most fragile part of the camera, so treat the wind with respect,

lots of info here

http://retinarescue.com/retinauser.html

otherwise good shooting!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Great lens on your camera. I had one, and regret selling it. The viewfinders tend to be cloudy, and as mentioned, you should be careful not to use too much force when advancing the film. Nice shooters, although my favorite is the Ia w/ either a Xenar or Ektar lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post

Jonathan
    Around Halloween I saw a leaf hanging on a web.

I thought it was a unique situation as if catching a falling leaf in mid-air... Nicely done.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by momus View Post
    The viewfinders tend to be cloudy
    This finder does not use a half mirror. Instead it uses a browned glass which can be cleaned without rubbing off the brown. I've restored several IIa rangefinders to clean bright view.
    Leicarfcam aka Colyn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My grandmother gave me one and it worked for a bit and then something between the rangefinder and focusing ring broke mysteriously. I'd love to get a tutorial on fixing rangefinders. Same thing happened to my Yashica Electro

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Around Halloween I saw a leaf hanging on a web.

I thought it was a unique situation as if catching a falling leaf in mid-air... Nicely done.
    Thanks, Bill. I saw another one in the neighborhood a couple of weeks ago and shot it with my Rolleiflex. I'll be curious to see how it compares. In this recent case it was very windy and I had a heck of a time keeping the leaf focused and centered as it bounced around. We'll see.

Jonathan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The retina iia is a lovely camera. I have one but I am backlogged on cameras to take out right now.
    As above, be careful with the film advance. Also make sure the lens is set to infiniti before closing, and be gentle when opening and closing the camera.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin