Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,702   Posts: 1,482,659   Online: 687

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikon Collector View Post
    You're right, I use several AI'd lenses and forgot they were slightly different from manufactors AI
    A common "error" , forgive and forget
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Photographer not a job description - a diagnosis.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Livsey View Post
    A common "error" , forgive and forget
    I don't use my F4 much, as I wrote in another post, certain cameras just feel "right", for me it's my F3

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Salem View Post
    I have used matrix metering when I first got an F100 and shot slides and negatives but then switched to CW and sometimes spot metering. I felt that the matrix metering was calibrated for slides as it tends to underexpose, and the slides that I shot with matrix metering was much better than the negatives (mono and color). And since the matrix mode has a mind of its own, literally, I found it hard to compensate so I just stayed clear of it.
    You're spot on......matrix metering for transparency film........centre weighted for b&w and colour neg. Matrix tends to favour highlights, Centre weighted usually cuts out bright skylight and meters for the shadows. This applies to general "out and about" shooting. Personally, when I am in control of my subject and am not in a hurry, I prefer to meter with a separate light meter + invercone attachment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had no difficulties exposing B&W and colour print film with my FA, F90 and F90X camera in their matrix mode. It's the first time I hear it's meant primarily for slides.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MartinCrabtree View Post
    I'm glad to hear this. At this point my photography requires I concentrate on subject and composition. Freeing up a little brain power from worrying about exposure (somewhat) helps. I have found the matrix meter in my D90 is about a stop pessimistic in bright situations. I'm checking the F5 on the last 2 rolls,one unfinished so we'll see.
    There are certain situations that will fool any reflective meter, they are normally pretty obvious, thats where I use exposure lock; frame once for exposure then reframe for the shot.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    It's the first time I hear it's meant primarily for slides.
    It's not, matrix metering is matched to an ISO standard. A 400 speed film is a 400 speed film...

Matrix metering is based on lots of testing done to see how (most) people like their shots to print/display. That doesn't mean it works for everybody, many people shoot and print their negative film differently because they can, not necessarily because they need to. Others have a real need or want to print more detail than a typical "slide" exposure might give them; that's just a technical correction to their personal E.I. based on their artistic preference.

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    It's not, matrix metering is matched to an ISO standard. A 400 speed film is a 400 speed film...

Matrix metering is based on lots of testing done to see how (most) people like their shots to print/display. That doesn't mean it works for everybody, many people shoot and print their negative film differently because they can, not necessarily because they need to. Others have a real need or want to print more detail than a typical "slide" exposure might give them; that's just a technical correction to their personal E.I. based on their artistic preference.
    It's certainly based on a lot of testing using slide and print film.

BTW, I read a certain Kodak publication stating that their Ektachrome Panther slide film was designed to be exposed using in-camera metering systems (whatever that means ).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
    Things that seem "too easy" can sometimes be hard to trust.

When cake mixes came out many years ago they didn't need anything except water, and they didn't sell well. They tasted fine and they cooked fine, those weren't the issues. The problem was that they were too easy, it was tough for people to think of those cakes as home-made; so the manufacturers changed the recipes and made us add eggs and they started selling well.

Matrix metering works really well and is really fast.

Sure, if I whip out the incident meter I might be able to improve things, a little; same if I decide to spot meter, again a little. The difference in most situations is normally pretty minor or nonexistent right off the bat, and with a bit of experience, a little thought, and AE lock on occasion, it can become a nearly bullet proof method.
    I am sure that only Sisyphus agrees with you.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Matrix metering works great for me with bw film and my F6.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-o...52084%2529.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    It's certainly based on a lot of testing using slide and print film.

BTW, I read a certain Kodak publication stating that their Ektachrome Panther slide film was designed to be exposed using in-camera metering systems (whatever that means ).
    Used car dealers in the area where I work proudly advertise a 3-day return privilege. What they don't advertise is that "that is the law, and has been for many years". "They" want people to think "they" are being nice and providing more value than expected when in fact "they are giving away nothing".

I think Kodak was essentially doing the same; advertising that their film was designed to meet the ISO standard. Sure it's a fact, but so what? Fuji's isn't?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin