Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,983   Online: 688

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    I've had no difficulties exposing B&W and colour print film with my FA, F90 and F90X camera in their matrix mode. It's the first time I hear it's meant primarily for slides.
    Exposure and development are very much a personal thing. It's what works for you. I'm quite happy using my F90X in auto-matrix mode for colour tranny, not so happy shooting that way with black & white. For many years I used FM2's which have centre weighted metering only. When launched around 1980 they were aimed primarily at the news photographer shooting mainly in black & white. Nikon were aware of the old adage at the time re. black & white.....i.e. that you "expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights".....meaning that in bright or normal light, many would rate their 400asa film at 320asa and slightly cut development. Nikon (as I was told by one of their technicians) based their centre weighted system on this theory.
    This meant a metering system giving a slightly "generous" exposure, which suited "black & white" but not transparency film. If using 100asa colour tranny in a FM2, then I would reset the metering to 160asa to bring out the full richness of colour.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too have been using a couple of FM2 mainly with Fuji Press 800 film in the mid '90s working as a press photographer for a local newspaper, it was a student job for me at the time. I was also happily exposing slide and B&W film in my free time, all with success. I've left Nikon for another make. I've checked light meters on my new cameras comparing them with my FM2s before I sold them, the meters agreed. I'm sorry, I'm just not buying into that. But then again all my meters could have been faulty.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I'm sorry, I'm just not buying into that. But then again all my meters could have been faulty.
    I agree miha.

I have two Sekonic L-358's, an N90s, an F100, and an F5. I have had three other N90s, two FE's, an FM2. When tested they have all agreed within a third of a stop and I think that difference is mostly in how I held my tongue.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've had no difficulties exposing B&W and colour print film with my FA, F90 and F90X camera in their matrix mode. It's the first time I hear it's meant primarily for slides.
    It works great for negatives as well, but if the scene is very contrasty I have found on the F100 and N80 that matrix metering will slightly underexpose the shadows compared to how I would like the negatives exposed. For a normal contrast range it does a great job. So I think it works better for slides. When they designed it they needed to bias it one way or the other. I think they made the right choice. Blown highlights in a slide will ruin it, where as blocked shadows in a negative usually can still make an excellent print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've learned from all the years that, without matrix I can get more predictable results.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    It does seem wrong really to lump all matrix metering together. The difference between the 25 segment metering in the F4 and the 1005 pixel RGB sensor in the F5/F6 is large, the latter distinguishing colour temperature as well, surely the difference in outcome cannot be minimal? Whilst the changes may only affect a small percentage of shots it is the confidence in those outlier situations that makes all the difference.
    If you have only shot with an F4 say it must be wrong to dismiss all matrix metering implementations?
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/red_eyes_man/

Photographer not a job description - a diagnosis.

Shooter
    35mm
    That about sums it up for me as well. You can talk about all the advantages of matrix but when it's said and done I get a higher percentage of good exposures using CW. I am able to more accurately predict and compensate in CW than matrix. Add to that the fact that I have many different bodies ranging from Nikon F's all the way up to a D300, trying to keep up with how each matrix system on those bodies that have them responds is just an added level of unnecessary complexity with no benefit and in some cases is a detriment. CW response is simpler making interpolation of required exposure settings simpler and for me that makes shooting CW more accurate and more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by dehk View Post
    I've learned from all the years that, without matrix I can get more predictable results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One of the advantages of matrix metering that has not been talked about yet here is the ability to do balanced fill flash. Once you "get" what it does and then see what it does it can become really handy for many situations.

Ever wonder why a lot of newspaper shooters have a strobe on the camera mid-day?
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradleyK View Post
    Despite owning an F4(e), a couple of F5s and an F6, I have yet to ever use the "matrix" metering function on any of these cameras. Why not? Mostly because I prefer using manual focus lenses when shooting with my SLRs. Since the F5 does not allow use of matrix metering with manual focus lenses, and I often shoot with several bodies, I almost always have the cameras set to the same center-weighted setting. So, a couple of questions for owners of Nikons with matrix capabilities, and more narrowly, to those who shoot transparency films. 1. What is your overall assessment of matrix metering? 2. Are their particular shooting situations where you would avoid using the setting? 3. Are their any particular transparency films that do not lend themselves to matrix metering?
    the answer can be summed up in one word'amazing.Nikon's matrix metering has never let me down.for me,it replaced zone-system metering;just let a Nikon handle it and transfer the settingsto a manual camera.the built-in logic is nothing short of fantastic.well done Nikon.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK, folks, let's test matrix metering in a situation like this one...

Imagine the grey card is backlit the head of a person, shot against a bright sky, in this case the sky is 6.8EV brighter than the grey card (this test shot made at 8:30am on a Fall morning). Shown is the result of a spot metered exposure on grey card target.
    How well does your Matrix metering work -- with zero Exposure Compensation dialed in by you? (I'll post my result after a few of you have results)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin