Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,657   Posts: 1,623,768   Online: 1145

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lamar View Post
    I do balanced fill flash in CW manual, ap or sp all the time. No matrix meter needed.... Just expose for the scene correctly and set you flash up correctly and your set. Make sure you don't exceed the max flash sync speed when you set the shutter speed.

Nikon F4 in manual exposure mode CW metering 80-200mm f/2.8 with SB-800 in TTL BL. Film E100G

Attachment 77644

Nikon F4s in manual exposure mode CW metering 80-200mm f/2.8 with SB-800 in TTL BL with -0.7 comp. Film HP5 pushed 3 stops.

Attachment 77645
    I agree that this can be done quite nicely.

Matrix balanced metering though allows me to shoot in a wider range of situations because the camera meter is "smarter" than the flash gun's meter. It also requires less thought so I can devote more thought to composition.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matrix metering is a great generic metering tool that will hit just the point in many situations. Of course matrix metering provides you with what camera things correct and not what you always have in mind. This is why CW metering becomes more useful after time, when one becomes more demanding and develops an eye for certain details in the frame.
    When the lighting is even, matrix metering can never go wrong, but in times of high contrast, say noon time, you have to tell to the camera what you are aiming for (highlights/shadows).
    You can either learn the behavior and tendencies of the matrix metering of your camera and compensate the exposure when you thing it won't give you what you want, or stick with CW and always point to it what you want to expose for.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin