Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,609   Online: 1268

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rare Leica

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Rare Leica

Check out the Leica in today’s Art daily –

http://artdaily.com/

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Damn, I guess I will need o bid on that

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    What is sad is that the buyer/oligarchs of such a camera will place it in a cabinet and never use it. Perhaps there is a job there, to offer to fly out and expose a roll of film through it. I’m up for that.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the cameras that auction house (and similars) sells will never be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What is sad is that the buyer/oligarchs of such a camera will place it in a cabinet and never use it. Perhaps there is a job there, to offer to fly out and expose a roll of film through it. I’m up for that.
    +1. Although I like all my cameras (heck...all cameras), I absolutely cannot fathom buying one to have it sit in a cabinet - or safe - unused. Whatever else it may be, a camera is first, and foremost, a tool. If I wanted an objet d'art I would buy a sculpture, a painting, a whatever...
    An assortment of F-series Nikons (F to F6, excluding the F4) with quite a few Nikkors, a pair of M6s with some Leitz glass, a pair of 500c/ms with a wide range of Zeiss optics and, just to help keep Duracell solvent, a D800.

Favourite films: (1). KE ("Kodachrome Era"): 35mm: PKM25 and PKR64, HP5/Tri-X; 120: PKR64, PanF, FP4. (2). PKE ("Post-Kodachrome Era"): (a) 35mm: E100G, HP5 Plus/Tri-X and Delta 3200; (b) 120: E100G, PanF Plus, FP4 Plus, TMax 100.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If I had a gold Leica I wouldn't shoot it either. There are plenty of plain Leicas for that.

I have always wondered why people buy gold cameras. I figure they are for collectors and not photographers. I'd rather collect photographs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    what leica? picture changed.

people buy gold cameras because they're pretty. I bought a mint leicaflex sl2 50 Jahre to use, and am, but folks who use unique items for display do have their purpose.

Whoever bought this SL first, and let it sit on a shelf for 40 years, meant I found a like-new Leica to use to shoot my grandkids. Thanks!

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This Leica:

http://www.westlicht-auction.com/ind...f9bb628f62107b

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=C-Xmbq9yMlA
    (Video of that auction)

Sold at 504,000 €. (420,000 €€ plus fees)

You still could spend more for something similar:
    http://artdaily.com/news/62855/1931-...-#.UpHcOeUwedI

And the most expensive Leica so far sold for 1.32 Million at the same auction house.
    Last edited by AgX; 11-24-2013 at 06:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    What is sad is that the buyer/oligarchs of such a camera will place it in a cabinet and never use it.
    cliveh, why the sadness? And why imbue the buyer with such a negative connotation as 'oligarch'? You know something about this buyer and their background?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    cliveh, why the sadness? And why imbue the buyer with such a negative connotation as 'oligarch'? You know something about this buyer and their background?
    Perhaps it's because I think a camera should be used (having said that, I have a few I don't use) and most likely, buyers of such valuable items wont use them. They may of course and I didn't realise 'oligarch' has a negative connotation, but if you tell me it has I'll believe you.

Francis Bacon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin