Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,678   Online: 803

Shooter
    35mm

OAKLAND PHOTOGRAPHIC REPAIR SERVICE in Royale Oak, MI

Does anyone have any experience with these folks?

They are recommended on The Woodward Camera website as a place to get local, in-house repairs, cheaper than most other big shops. I'm just looking for a local option in case KEH doesn't come through as I hope.

I will be contacting KEH tomorrow, since the problem I'm having is on a FM2n that they did a complete overhaul on about a year and a half or two years ago, so I don't think it needs another full overhaul. Generally that is what they charge for and do minor repairs as part of it. Hopefully they will say send it in and they will repair it without charging for a full CLA.

The problem is that when I took the camera out of storage to exercise the shutter last week, it fired normally once or twice, but now the shutter is cocked but it does not respond when the shutter button is depressed. The film advance lever moves freely, as it always does when the shutter is already cocked. I'm assuming it should be a relatively minor repair for someone who knows what they are doing.

Anyone have any suggestions of something I could try?
    Any thoughts on Oakland Photographic?

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never heard of Oakland Photographic Repair, but admit my connections with downstate Michigan aren't what they used to be. Maybe talk to the folks at Woodward Camera and see why the recommend Oakland?

You may also try Midwest Camera Repair in Wynadotte. They've been around for years and do good work, at least back in the 1980's when I last used them. Not sure if they work on old Nikons, but may be worth a phone call. Check out their website:

http://www.midwestcamera.com

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    They have two positive comments on 'Yelp'
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/oakland-phot...adison-heights

On the other hand, Midwest has two good, one iffy, and one poor comments.
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/midwest-camera-repair-wyandotte

Hope that is some help.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I've been to Midwest camera on several occasions, though I've never actually used their services as they charge relatively high prices for simple repairs.

Shooter
    35mm
    If you've not done so, remove the lens (or body cap) to check mirror position. On the bottom plate are two buttons next to MD film advance. One is the film release button for rewinding film and the other is a shutter release. Give each a gentle push. May want to check film compartment for a piece of broken film that may be jamming film-advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Alright, Thanks Aja for your reply - and everyone else too.

You prompted me to "play around" with it a bit more. I had already checked the mirror position - fine and mirror moved freely. I had checked the film compartment and hadn't found anything amiss. On your suggestion, I tried depressing the two buttons on the bottom plate - no difference.

I did notice that about every 8 or 10 attempts, it would fire, so I kept playing around. What I found was if, after the shutter fired, and I would advance to the next frame, if I allowed the advance lever to just snap back into position, the camera would fire again. If, however, I eased the lever back, as is my normal practice, the camera would not fire. I then played around with the double exposure lever and operated it a few times.

Now the camera is firing consistently again, even if I ease the lever back. Apparently, something had partially jammed the double exposure mechanism. No need to send it in for the present, unless this becomes an intermittent problem.

Very happy now, this has always been my favorite film camera - was my first serious camera many years ago. Not this particular camera - that was stolen, but one very similar. Would like to get one with the titanium shutter like my original, but this is close.

Thanks again everyone. Guess Oakland Photographic quality will remain a mystery for now, though I may try them in the future.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin