Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,171   Online: 728

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

is it unreasonable to find 20 simple point and shoots for under 20 USD?

I need some feedback inregards to my thought process and recommended action. I'm getting married in October of 2014. One of things things I really wanted to do was to have a camera on each of the guest's table. The purpose was to have negatives that i could print many years into a long marriage. That every time I make another print, that day would be relived. It is something I wouldn't mind going back to print again and again. And since this was apug, the idea of printing from smart phones and digital cameras just didn't appeal to me.

Originally, I thought I would just get some of the ilford HP5 disposal cameras; and put two on each table. Then I would process it myself.

Now thinking about it, the venue would better benefit from shooting at and EI1600. And I wouldn't mind push processing it. However, if the camera flash and camera exposure is fixed at EI400, am I really out of luck? The exposure on these disposal cameras can't be changed.

what if I get a bunch of cheapt point and shoots and put them on the table and load it with my film and exposure that I want? I can still shoot with HP5, and each camera's exposure would be set at 1600, the way I want it. I would still be able to process the film myself.

The challenge would be to find approxmately 20 cameras with autoexposure and autofocus that guests can use. Getting film wouldn't be a problem. But finding 20 cameras would be.
    - is 20 USD a little too conservative. If the cameras are more than 20 USD, it would be more economically feasible to just get the HP5 disposalable cameras.
    - i am concerned about age and reliability. As the groom, I can't be running around setting exposure for everyone.
    - where am i going to get 20 cameras? Do I really have time to hunt down 18 automatic exposure cameras?

Or will this cause too much chaos? Too many elbows and hairy armpits in the way of the wedding photographer's actual real photos?
    Last edited by Dikaiosune01; 11-28-2013 at 09:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you looking for a total of $20, or $20 each? If $20 each, you could probably go down to the thrift store and find some for $5 USD or less. If shipping from US-HK wasn't so prohibitive, I would be willing to send you the 20 that my local store has for $3 each.
    "Panic not my child, the Great Yellow Father has your hand"--Larry Dressler

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nickrapak View Post
    Are you looking for a total of $20, or $20 each? If $20 each, you could probably go down to the thrift store and find some for $5 USD or less. If shipping from US-HK wasn't so prohibitive, I would be willing to send you the 20 that my local store has for $3 each.
    I was thinking 20 dollars each. The HP5 dispospals are already about 10 dollars each.
    I'll be visiting my family in Toronto in a few months, which will give me a bit ot time to scrounge through a few thrift stores there.
    I've been looking at shops in HK, but they tend to overprice for these type of things (around 100 USD a pop) and aren't really reliable when it comes to standards. if it's broke, your out of luck.
    I've also been looking at KEH. they haven't sent me a broken camera yet. The HP5 might be a plan B.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I think $20 a piece is very do-able, and you've got plenty of time to find them. Just go simple and as automatic as possible.

Shooter
    35mm
    Point and Shoots run between $3 - $5 around here at the thrifts. Some are actually nice too - like the Canon AF35 ML. You also have to look at the batteries. Some use C123 and even worse, CR123. They tend to cost more than the cameras.

Still, I like your idea of putting a camera on each table. Sounds like a great way of getting candid guests photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You will also have concerns with batteries.

I would be concerned that at a wedding I might not have time to deal with the peculiarities of 20 different cameras.

The reusable/disposable cameras make more sense to me.

Of course, if all the guests were APUG regulars, you would be fine!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    You will also have concerns with batteries.

I would be concerned that at a wedding I might not have time to deal with the peculiarities of 20 different cameras.

The reusable/disposable cameras make more sense to me.

Of course, if all the guests were APUG regulars, you would be fine!
    if all my guests were apug regular, i'd say just bring your own cameras and I'll provide all the films. The problem would be getting apug members to relinquish those negatives. At the end of the night, I imagine all the apug members would gasp in shock (I imagine every apug member wears a monocule on their non-view-finder-eye) and their monocule would drop into their wine glass when I ask for the negatives.

I get what you're saying about having to deal with the peculiarities of the 20 different cameras. That is a concern for me too. Which is why I want to keep dispospal cameras as plan B. I have a old nikon 35AF given to me by my fiancee's family. It exposes and flashes well; but tends to reel in the film before it's shot.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    20 working ones may be hard to find. You'd need to run a roll through each as a test... and that alone would be expensive. I'd stick with disposables if it were me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You could reload the disposable cameras with higher speed film, and put a square of ND cellophane gel over the flash to make exposures match.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    You could reload the disposable cameras with higher speed film, and put a square of ND cellophane gel over the flash to make exposures match.

Kent in SD
    This is an awesome idea. I Think this might really work. This has been promoted to plan A/B.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin