Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,316   Online: 883

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    If you don't need interchangeable focusing screens then an FTbN should be fine. They are all old so get it serviced and you should be able to get plenty of use out of it. It has 12 degree metering. You point the center (shaded area) to a mid tone and then recompose and shoot. The meter is accurate and it's easy to know what you are metering off of.

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Check out the TX, it's a stripped down FTB (less to go wrong) and has match needle metering which is the only thing the battery powers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    All Canon FD cameras are good. The F-1 is great. Sound like yours need some CLA, after that you will love them!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Over the summer I shot with a TX, then moved up to the FTB. I love it because it feels like a tank and the needle metering is really nice to have. If you don't want it you can just pop out the battery and go all manual. The 50mm f/1.4 lens is terrific and incredibly sharp. I think you also get 94% or 96% viewfinder coverage which is nice, it's like viewing a big screen movie.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am happy with my canon EF. Uses px13 batteries, but voltage regulated so alkalines work great. The meter view makes it act like it is program shift instead of shutter priority because both shutter and aperture are visible. slow times are electronic, so no escapements!
    "If its not broken, I can't afford it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If Canon would have designed a Canon FD body strictly mechanical - as Nikon and Pentax did - I would have stayed with it.
    The F1, F1n, FTb, TLb and TX were all fully mechanical apart of course from the meters. The EF was similarly fully mechanical apart from the speeds 0.5 to 30 seconds.

I used various Canon SLRs regularly from 1972 to 2003 with only one fault, a metering failure with an F1 when it was twelve years old.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nobody loves the T90 these days... that's so sad. Y'all can send them to me. I have a bunch of makes and models, but the T90 is still my primary camera.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    The T-90 is indeed a piece of junk though; a tech told me even brand new these beasts displayed the EE error.
    The T-90 is responsible for a number of horrors, not least being the template for almost every subsequent SLR, including digital ones! However I'd argue that a 'piece of junk' it is not. It can be prone to sticky shutter magnets, mainly due to lack of use, which are easily fixed with a CLA. The T-90 gained a reputation among Japanese photojournalists for being unbreakable and it's certainly one of the most solid cameras I've owned, including Nikon's F and F2. Like other LCD carrying electronic cameras of the 80s and 90s, the clock is ticking on some components as there are no spares available, but that will be true of your brand new professional DSLRs in another 27 years, and probably a lot sooner.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    +1 for the T90. Yes, I get a few Es every now and then, but it just pull the battery compartment out half an inch, then push it back in, and we are good to go. Hasn't happened for a good while. It's a camera that likes to be used. The metering is excellent, mostly.

Shooter
    35mm
    You guys appear to be very unlucky with your T90 experiences. I bought mine new in 1987 and gave it plenty of use for 5 yrs. It was the last new Canon I bought as I couldn't warm to the EOS series.

It has been serviced once by Canon Australia in 1999 and hasn't had a great deal of use since. These days I am going backwards chronologically with an EF and an F1N which get the most use. No sign of problems when I occasionally load up the T90.

My A-1 and AE-1, both bought new and in excellent cond are both exhibiting an overexposure issue with their meters. The A-1 is one stop over and the AE-1 is two stops over. Seems a cover over the metering cell goes cloudy with time and throws out the metering. Merely adjusting the meter will only be a stopgap fix. I'm just going to keep an eye on mine and adjust the ISO on the camera to suit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin