Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,389   Online: 664

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Canon FD recommendation

A question for the Canon Brigade.i've got some Canon fl/fd lenses that I love to use-35mm f2,55mm f1.2 but I'm running out of luck with meters on the AE1 and the AE1 program-both of them are way off.I've got an A1 with a slow mirror.I had a t90 that developed the EE shutter problem.I still have,and use an FT-but that meter is unreliable too.Here's the question-Did Canon make a camera that lasts?How good/reliable is the F1?I'm looking for something with a decent meter that doesn't take exotic,rare batteries-one that some Canon users here could swear by and not swear atThanks for any suggestions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you sure the AE1 meter really is wrong? Metered manual on that camera is decidedly peculiar and can look like a misbehaving meter. As far as I know, it's unusual for those meters to get out of whack without actually being dead.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The only way to get "sunny 16" yesterday-in full sun- for 400 speed film,on the meter was to set the iso to 50.Then it showed 1/500 sec @f16!I changed the battery and still the same thing.

Shooter
    35mm
    There's a guy who fixes Canons cheaply, but he's in the UK. Meters are something I've never had trouble with on a Canon. I have most models but my recommendation would be an AT-1, full manual metering with readily available batteries.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ken Oikawa, is a very reputable technician... although the only way of contact is to call and leave a message... he fixed the slow mirror rise on a pristine f-1N (sticky from no use! and replaced all the seals)... and yeah, the feeling of an f-1 over an a-1 (my previous and much loved first film camera) is quite considerable... but whether it's better, as they say, whatever it gets you to photograph is best...

a quick search should bring his name up, but i'll look for the receipt he included, for a phone number as i don't have it on hand.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Any camera requires service occasionally just as part of normal maintenance, but I bought my New F-1 new sometime around 1982, and it's been running well ever since. I used to send it for a regular CLA every few years when it was my only camera, but as I've been using other formats more, I haven't had it serviced in maybe 15 years, and it's been fine when I've needed it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the suggestions,everyone.Like a lot of people here I really don't need another camera,but you know how it is.I suppose I could sell the lenses to people who shoot flowers with adapters for their DSLR's.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
    A question for the Canon Brigade.i've got some Canon fl/fd lenses that I love to use-35mm f2,55mm f1.2 but I'm running out of luck with meters on the AE1 and the AE1 program-both of them are way off.I've got an A1 with a slow mirror.I had a t90 that developed the EE shutter problem.I still have,and use an FT-but that meter is unreliable too.Here's the question-Did Canon make a camera that lasts?How good/reliable is the F1?I'm looking for something with a decent meter that doesn't take exotic,rare batteries-one that some Canon users here could swear by and not swear atThanks for any suggestions.
    I have been thru the same experience than you - meters, squeak and EEE error with several Canon FD bodies - and I think that these bodies don't get old well. That is why I decided to get rid of this equipment. But I cannot offer any commentaries on the F-1 because I have never used this one.

Another reason why this system got on my nerves are the batteries required to work with the bodies. They are expensive in comparison with other systems. If Canon would have designed a Canon FD body strictly mechanical - as Nikon and Pentax did - I would have stayed with it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    If you are happy with the FT, I suggest you sue a hand-held meter for the best exposures.

The Canon T70 is an underrated body. It takes AA batteries, has a nice bright screen, and no shutter squeak problems.
    The drive-train can get gummed up, though, so first thing to do if you get one is to run a roll of film all the way to the end. (If the drive is gummed up, it will think the roll is ended prematurely and rewind)

Also look for a canon EF.

Regarding the A-series.. i believe you can use a stack of LR44 button cells for the battery. They are cheap, you can get a pack of 8 from the dollar tree store for well a dollar.

The FT, FTb, F1, and F1n are pretty much the top of the line as far as canon goes.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    35mm
    How odd! Just yesterday I recieved a pair of FD bodies and remarked inwardly how well the AE-1 Program and T-70 work despite their being 25-30 years old. I have a good number of FD bodies and they've all been CLA'd so I know they work and work well. I don't have any fear using them. It may be you just have a bad run of luck with them. The T-90 is indeed a piece of junk though; a tech told me even brand new these beasts displayed the EE error.

Shot yesterday with an AE-1 Program...

In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin