Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,215   Posts: 1,532,121   Online: 1040

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    One of the strangest lens effect I have ever seen, I dont even want to write about colors. But may be reason for that stars are the modern optics of the street lights. They can be very angular diamond cut like shapes on the light source. If your light source was clean and point light source diffracted like this , this a bad japanese lens. In real optics , point light sources must appear as point images otherwise its a very bad optics. Look for point spread function. Nikon have the worst optics I have ever seen or used.
    This is simply untrue, and a load of hogwash.

Neither of those images have unusual looking characteristics for a street lamp at night.

The only thing I see is the difference between a straight bladed aperture and a rounded aperture, perhaps used at a different f/stop which would also affect the appearance of the lights.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are you using filters on either lens? The first one,a rendering is a but bizarre but I kinda like the second.
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    I think you might not have noticed this effect as much because the lights were not overexposed as much as they were in these photos.

One more thought. Try taking the same photos but with the lenses wide open. That should not show the spikes.
    By the way, your 60mm lens has a 7 blade aperture, correct?
    The intention was to shoot the same scene, same aperture and exposure. I could care less about over exposing the street lamps. Did you see the difference between the two? One has circular orientation and the other pointed hex shape. I wanted to see if this was normal for the AIS lenses.

I didn't shoot either of them through a window, both lenses didn't have any filters on them. Both lenses have 7 aperture blades, the 55mm aperture has a rounder shape when you stop down, and the 60mm has more of a straight shape when you stop down. I've shot lots of cameras but can't remember ever seeing lights that look circular at nighttime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    it is -much- more difficult to get star shaped highlights off a lens that has rounded blades, at any aperture. Straight blade lenses will do it even only two stops down from wide open, if the focus is right.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah B View Post
    Hey all, I've been doing a few tests with a couple lenses: Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AIS and Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF. I did a couple night shots tonight and came back with two different renderings of light. The 55mm made the lights into this circular shape, while the 60mm made them into a hex type shape. I'm not sure if this is normal for AIS lenses? If anybody could chime in it'd be great, as I'm pretty confused right now.

55mm -

Attachment 77710

60mm -

Attachment 77711
    What aperture were you using the lenses at? I ask because, notwithstanding all the nonsense about 'bokeh' and the like, if you are using the lens at maximum aperture, the shape of the iris and number of blades has no effect, as it is open and perfectly round.

It appears that the 55mm is behaving normally with the lights themselves heavily overexposed - showing artifacts you wouldn't usually record; and the 60mm looks like it or the filter may need a cleaning.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Has anyone counted those peaks?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    What aperture were you using the lenses at? I ask because, notwithstanding all the nonsense about 'bokeh' and the like, if you are using the lens at maximum aperture, the shape of the iris and number of blades has no effect, as it is open and perfectly round.

It appears that the 55mm is behaving normally with the lights themselves heavily overexposed - showing artifacts you wouldn't usually record; and the 60mm looks like it or the filter may need a cleaning.
    These were actually both shot at f/8 @ 15 seconds, neither had a filter on, focused at infinity.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Has anyone counted those peaks?
    14 in the one from the 60mm lens. Hard to be certain in the first (55mm) one. I still think the 60mm lens could do with a cleaning - perhaps some sort of oily/smeary stuff on it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Acually I like both

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I still think the 60mm lens could do with a cleaning - perhaps some sort of oily/smeary stuff on it.
    Or some condensation.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin