Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,707   Online: 1234

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

weird lens rendering, nighttime

Hey all, I've been doing a few tests with a couple lenses: Micro Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 AIS and Micro Nikkor 60mm f/2.8 AF. I did a couple night shots tonight and came back with two different renderings of light. The 55mm made the lights into this circular shape, while the 60mm made them into a hex type shape. I'm not sure if this is normal for AIS lenses? If anybody could chime in it'd be great, as I'm pretty confused right now.

55mm -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55mmnight.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	373.0 KB 
ID:	77710

60mm -

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	60mmnight.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	356.8 KB 
ID:	77711

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is called flare and the shape is often from the lens iris.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Both exposures were 15 seconds in the same position, I thought it was strange how one was different than the other. I thought it might be because the 55mm is an older model. Thanks though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lens or filter was also slightly dirty or foggy. The shape of the iris determines the number of points of the star as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    also rounded aperture blades will deliver softer points, straight blades will define them more sharply.
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    35mm
    That's not weird. That's diffraction on very overexposed lights. The overexposure was necessary to expose deeper into the night scene.

When I built a homebuilt reflector I used a 4 vane spider because with a 4 vane spider you get only 4 diffraction spikes but with a 3 vane spider you get 6 spikes. Such is one effect of diffraction.
    Last edited by pen s; 11-29-2013 at 08:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chris, I looked at the blades on the 55mm and they're much rounder than the other lens, which is straighter. I've just never seen a lens render the light like that before.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Noah B View Post
    I've just never seen a lens render the light like that before.
    I think you might not have noticed this effect as much because the lights were not overexposed as much as they were in these photos.

One more thought. Try taking the same photos but with the lenses wide open. That should not show the spikes.
    By the way, your 60mm lens has a 7 blade aperture, correct?
    Last edited by pen s; 11-29-2013 at 08:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    One of the strangest lens effect I have ever seen, I dont even want to write about colors. But may be reason for that stars are the modern optics of the street lights. They can be very angular diamond cut like shapes on the light source. If your light source was clean and point light source diffracted like this , this a bad japanese lens. In real optics , point light sources must appear as point images otherwise its a very bad optics. Look for point spread function. Nikon have the worst optics I have ever seen or used.

Shooter
    35mm
    Just curious, but were you shooting through a window? A lot of solar films will cause starlighting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin