Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,487   Online: 840

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: normal lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Voightlander Vito II 50mm lens and it is a folder.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've had a couple of those 40mm f2 Zuikos but they were too valueable to keep so I sold them to finance other lenses. I am used to the 50mm and like it's angle of view. No other reason than that.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are at least three ways to estimate a "standard" focal lenght, with different results.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and they are?
    OM-1n: Do I need to own a Leica?
    Rolleicord Va: Humble.
    Holga 120GFN: Amazingly simple yet it produces outstanding negatives to print.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Definitions:

Standard Focal Length =

1) lenght of format diagonal

2) arithmetical mean of 1.5x image height and 2x image width

Both definitions rely on a image presented at maximum size at short viewing distance (30cm).

3) a compensated form of 2) with a lengthening factor if the visual image is small (as often in cinema or at watching TV)
    Last edited by AgX; 12-01-2013 at 03:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Emil, as has already been pointed out, Leica started it. Zeiss-Ikon and Nagel copied Leica. That historical accident is the reason 35 mm cameras with 24 x 36 gates have 50 mm (or so) lenses as standard, but no one's explained the historical accident.

The Leica was initially conceived as an exposure test device for 35 mm cinema. The 35 mm cine camera's gate is 24 x 18 mm. That's the so-called Edison format and yes, T. A. Edison invented it. By convention -- set to gain working distance -- the "normal" focal length for 35 mm movies is ~ 50 mm. That's what Oscar Barnack used on his exposure tester. When the exposure tester grew into a camera that should double frame 35 mm (24 x 36) the 50 mm lens was retained.
    This sounds so logical to me. A test device that mimics the device it's testing for.

Then let those who care for trivia try to reason it out.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    When 35mm SLR's first started to grow in popularity in the late 50's early 60's ther were quite a few 'normal' lenses going longer. The 58mm focal length was sometimes perfered because with a 35mm SLR it gave a lifesize view through the viewfinder. And weren't there even a few 57mm lenses? Seems like Konica had one of those if I'm remembering right. (Not sure of that, my wife says I'm starting to 'remember' things that never happened)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Better pictures of people, help sell more or newer SLR cameras?
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pen s View Post
    When 35mm SLR's first started to grow in popularity in the late 50's early 60's ther were quite a few 'normal' lenses going longer. The 58mm focal length was sometimes perfered because with a 35mm SLR it gave a lifesize view through the viewfinder. And weren't there even a few 57mm lenses? Seems like Konica had one of those if I'm remembering right. (Not sure of that, my wife says I'm starting to 'remember' things that never happened)
    Stuff and nonsense. In those days fast (f/1.4 - f/2.0) normal lenses for 35 mm cameras were mainly 6/4 double Gauss types, sometimes slightly more complex variants. At the time no one had worked out how to make lenses of this type that performed well and weren't a little telephoto, i.e., didn't have back focus that was shorter than usual for their focal lengths. Until that problem was solved 35 mm SLRs had 57 and 58 mm fast "normal" lenses. It was that or lock the mirror up and forgo the SLR's advantage over rangefinder cameras.

Re 6/4 double Gauss types being somewhat telephoto, one of my treasures is a 4"/2.0 Taylor Hobson Anastigmat that was removed from a Vinten F 95 aerial camera. I use it on a 2x3 Speed Graphic, minimum flange-to-film distance 61.9 mm. The lens has to be mounted entirely in front of the lens board because it is too fat to pass through the lens throat. It makes infinity with roughly 2 mm to spare. Designers of lenses for 35 mm SLRs started with very similar designs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Not 'stuff and nonsense' Mr. Fromm. Nowhere in my post did I comment on the reason they were a longer focal length, just that quite a few people pefered that longer FL because of the lifesize image. I am well aware that optical design evloved over time and that progress was made in reducing the intrusion into the mirror box of shorter focal length lenses. Even into the 1970's Such companies as Pentax had 55mm for f1.8 while the faster f1.4 lenses were already 50mm. In fact, even today Nikon has a premium 58mm f1.4 'long normal' in their catalog. At $1700 a bit spendy perhaps and I would think at that price they would not sell many but someone must want it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin