Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,524   Online: 876

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: normal lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    The commonly reported reason for less than 100% coverage is to compensate for cropping due to mounting a transparency in a slide-mount.
    I do not find this very convincing. Tolerance in manufacture may be another reason.
    This is true I had a Nikon F2 and was shooting slides exclusively with it and was losing a significant amount of the image area after mounting, and this also applies to enlarger negative carriers if you don't file them out to accommodate the full negative area. I find the ideal viewfinder coverage for film is that of my Canon New F1's which is 97%
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm a little surprised by the interest in 43/45mm lens.......I always thought the 105 was normal for a 35mm frame. If I have to go to a wide; I just go to the 18mm.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The reason for why not 100% and 1x in the finder is simple, you have to give up eyepoint to achieve that, making it difficult to actually see the entire field of view (and for some, actually painful). Both the OM-1n and the Pentax MX (which actually has the highest finder magnification) have major issues for eyeglass wearers due to the very low eyepoint, and personally I find the MX literally painful to shoot (major eyestrain issues). The best all-round finders are either the 100% ~0.8x finders in cameras like the F2 or non-HP F3 or for eyeglass wearers the high-eyepoint finders in the F3HP, F4 and F5.

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't think Nikon ever claimed 100% in all circumstances for the F or F2. It claimed 100% with a 50mm lens at inifnity.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin