Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,614   Online: 1091

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: normal lenses

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

normal lenses

a 'normal focal lengthlens is typically defined as havinga focal length equal to the film-format diagonal. in case of 35mm film that is close to 43mm. so, why, I ask don't we see lenses with that focal length?; we have many close to it; 35 or 50mm,but I've never seen 43 or ;let's say 45mm.why do you think that is?I use 35 and 50mm a lot and can see 43 or 45 having an advantagein viewing angle and weight over the typical 500mm normal.confused:
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm willing to bet it has something to do with that mirror... most 'normal' 50s are retrofocus, to give room for a decent size mirror. The flange to filmplane distance on most slrs is around 45mm.
    Quite a lot of 35mm fixed lens rangefinders came with ~45mmlenses, which reminds me that Leica seemed to settle very early on a 50 as their standard - so for that matter did Zeiss with the Contax, although there was no mirror to give room to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most probably because Leica was launched with that focal length and people got use to it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by miha View Post
    Most probably because Leica was launched with that focal length and people got use to it.
    Something like that.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yet more Leica koolaid...

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plenty of 45mm lenses the Nikon GN Pancake is a 45mm, Pentax made a 43mm lens, Minota MD 45mm, etc.... The lenses for the early Contaflexes were 45mm as well, the standard lens for Contax G was a 45mm Planar. Some fixed lens RF cameras of the 50 to 80's had 45mm lenses. It's interesting to note that many 45mm lenses were Budget lenses and/or Tessar Design. I believe the reason that so few people use these focal lenght has to do with the fact that it's neither wide angle nor tele it's an in-between focal lenght in 35mm. In MF the vast majority of early 6x6 was fitted with what would amount to a 45mm lens the 75mm lens.
    I personaly love 45mm lenses because they are just a little wider than 50mm but still offer the advantages of the longer focal length in terms of speed and look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As noted in Post #2, the retrofocus needs of 35mm slrs was a major force to push 50mm lenses to become a defacto normal standard 35mm lens.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Xpan is one 45mm I can think of which can be used in "normal" mode in addition to the panoramic setting. Also, my first 35mm camera was an Olympus Trip which I think was 40mm. Interesting question. Might have been a case of, oh, let's just make it a nice round number?
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Shooter
    Large Format
    Normal essentially is what you normally see when you look. Or near when focal length equals the diagonal of the selected image size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A quick look at my 35mm cameras shows me:

Olympus Trip 40mm
    Zeiss Ikon Contina Ic and IIa both 45mm
    Agfa Sillette 45mm
    Paxette I and II both 45mm
    Balda Baldessa 45mm
    Minolta Uniomat 45mm
    Halina 35X 45mm
    Yamato Pal Jr 45mm

That is about half of my 35mm cameras - not rare if 50% of an essentially random selection have 45mm lenses.

I think it needs saying that the diagonal of the image as focal length is a very rule of thumb quantity - there is no biological or mathematical reason for it, it is just a relationship that has been noted to produce a similar flat image as the human eye does on a doubly curved image sensor.
    Last edited by Peltigera; 11-30-2013 at 02:32 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correct grammar.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin