Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,623   Online: 1076

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have 3 cameras with accessory grips (2 film, 1 digital).

I find them particularly useful for my film cameras (both Minolta AF cameras), as they take common garden variety AA batteries. That in itself is worthy of having them.

As for the electron exciter, I thought it was a good idea, but have very recently taken it off. It's become very liberating now that its gone!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Big late model grip please.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    An interesting question. I had to think about it as I use cameras with and without grips regularly. This might be simply because when I started cameras did no have grips, but I support the camera with my left hand and hang it diagonally so that the strap is over my right shoulder and the camera hangs just in front of my left hip. Of course with the more modern cameras, one nice thing about the grip is that it makes it easy to find the "home" position for your hand and therefore easier to find all those little wheels and buttons.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Left hand carry. When using only one body, I'll wrap the strap around my left wrist. Two bodies, one around my neck, another on my left shoulder (usually the bulkier and heavier of the two). If there's a third body, the least used will hang across my chest on my right side. Least likelihood of gear collision. Grips are preferred, even (perhaps especially) on an RB/RZ.
    Yes, as the offspring will testify, I usually look like the dork that I am.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kitanikon View Post
    The reason most cameras after the Graflex came without grips is because they are designed NOT TO BE GRIPPED....
    ....BUT rather, they are to be CRADLED in the left hand....
    I need my left hand for focusing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Precisely. Palm up, thumb and index finger to either focus or adjust aperture (and in the case of OMs, adjust shutter speed), all while tucking one's arms against the torso for maximum stability.
    If you call it a "prime lens" because it's a fixed-focal length (i.e. not a zoom lens), then as Inigo Montoya said so eloquently, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

A grip by far was the more ergonomic.I always purchased the MD 12 motordrives for my FM2 s and used them as grips..never used the motordrive function.Same for the Mamiya 6..it has a grip like design.No grip, no like!
    Now..to save up for the MD617 grip for my Linhof!

Sent from my LG-P509 using Tapatalk 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think calling the little protrusion on an AE-1 a grip is a bit fo a stretch. That said, I still find my AE-1 to be one of the nicest cameras to hold - so while it may be small, it is very effective (that's what she said?).

Overall, I seem to prefer small grips. AE-1, Nikon FA, and OM40 are all excellent examples of what I find most comfortable. I have two OM10 bodies and an OM2SP, I find them noticibly less comfortable than the OM40. Even my wife (who has no interest in cameras) commented on the lack of finger grip the first time she picked up the OM10.

I'm thinking of getting a finger grip made for it. The Panasonic GM1 has an interesting little milled finger grip add on that I think could be copied nicely for the OM10 bodies. I may bug a friend with a lathe to see if he can make one, or I may just CAD one up and see if I can get it 3D printed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I go sans grip, even on my Pentax 6x7. Couple more ounces on that thing could be the straw that broke my back.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    You cradle the lens in the heel of your left hand and focus with your fingers.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin