Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,977   Posts: 1,523,669   Online: 1194

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Big grip vs small grip vs no grip

I post the question in this forum because many of us here 35mm shooter still often use old cameras that has no hand grip on it. Some cameras introduced in the 80's has a small grip like Nikon F3, FA, Canon AE-1, A-1 and then those cameras of those era had motor drive which had the big grip. Later on in the 90's almost all 35mm SLR's have a rather large grip and some with either built in or add on vertical grip. My question is that which type is the most ergonomic? I found that the no grip type is better for me, it's easier for me to hold as well as shooting in either landscape or portrait orientation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With bigger lenses like 200mm or so - I like grip. With small lenses like 50mm f2 - all is ok for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My cameras are older ones with no grip. Can't say I ever wished I had one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love grips.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have an OM-1 and OM-4, I have a motorized film winder to fit both. I used it for a while and enjoyed having the grip, especially for pro work when the immediate readiness of autowind was so valuable. But later decided that the increased weight and bulk defeated the compact size and weight of the OM bodies in smaller camera bags when simply being a tourist on vacation!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of fairly modern EOS cameras and the grip is fine. Most of my cameras do not have grips and I prefer them that way. Basically, it is of no great concern to me but I prefer no grip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I only have one camera with a grip the rest no grips. I can live without them.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    Don't care for them myself. But then I entered photography in the golden 1965~1975 decade with the best mechanical cameras ever made. None with grips, so it is what I'm used to.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For my use, the right grips are a pain, because they constrain one's options on how to hold the camera and release the shutter.

If your right hand doesn't work the "normal" way, they often get in the way.

I'd like to try a camera with a left hand grip, shutter release and film advance.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With a grip like that incorporated in the Canon T-90 I can hold more weight with less strain than without.
    A handstrap is less needed, though still a fail-safe means.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin