Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,468   Posts: 1,570,820   Online: 1088

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are valid reasons for the use of motor drives and the faster the better. If this bothers you don't buy one. This is the advantage of the marketplace.
    A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.

~Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald C Koch View Post
    There are valid reasons for the use of motor drives and the faster the better. If this bothers you don't buy one. This is the advantage of the marketplace.
    That is not the question. The question is who has found it useful and who has not found it useful.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Several threads like this recently- if you buy the cast-offs of the photojournalism world, and you aren't a working photojournalist, I imagine there might be features that you won't need. That's the situation, you can go buy something exotic like an EOS-1nRS and use it to take landscapes because it's been discarded.

If it was my job to take a photo of a downhill skier at the Olympics in the 1980's with manual focus, sure I would want 13 FPS; if I was photographing sports for a wire agency in the 90's and I had to get the shot, give me 9 FPS, these weren't gimmicks. I hardly see anyone photographing sports these days without their DSLR stuck on CH advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamG View Post
    Several threads like this recently- if you buy the cast-offs of the photojournalism world, and you aren't a working photojournalist, I imagine there might be features that you won't need. That's the situation, you can go buy something exotic like an EOS-1nRS and use it to take landscapes because it's been discarded.

If it was my job to take a photo of a downhill skier at the Olympics in the 1980's with manual focus, sure I would want 13 FPS; if I was photographing sports for a wire agency in the 90's and I had to get the shot, give me 9 FPS, these weren't gimmicks. I hardly see anyone photographing sports these days without their DSLR stuck on CH advance.
    A good photographer can anticipate the best shoot and almost always get it. Spraying photographs all over the place will only waste film and often miss the best shots. I have done enough sports photography over many decades to have learned this long ago.

Just because a photojournalist uses the point and spray method does not mean the photographer is a good one. Even chimpanzees occasionally get great photographs.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Motor drives don't always ensure victory. Thinking I'm going to get a sharp point-of-impact picture of a golfer driving a ball I set The Canon Pellix at 1/1000 second and 9 frames a second. The result taught me that the moment of impact always happens during the 991/1000 fraction of a second that is NOT recorded on film. And switching the thing off is a good idea before putting it in the camera bag. If it's accidentally triggered that 36exp roll of Ektachrome will zip through in 4 seconds and you can't fumble fast enough to shut it off.
    Photography, the word itself, invented and defined by its author Sir John.F.W.Herschel, 14 March 1839 at the Royal Society, Somerset House, London. Quote "...Photography or the application of the Chemical rays of light to the purpose of pictorial representation,..". unquote.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I used it once when it was useful. I would easily live without it.

+1
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I heard that power winders and motor drives wear out camera bodies faster, is this true?

Jeff

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Aja B View Post
    The question being posed relates to speed, not ergonomics or appearances: '...fits my hands better...', '...giant and heavy.', '...looks dangerous...'. Speed, man, it's all about speed!
    Indeed, that was a tangent.

I gather your subject matter either affords the opportunity to repeatedly try again and again to get the timing right or the not getting the image wouldn't prove too disappointing. Your focus appears to be heavily weighted on the process rather than the result. Yeah, I enjoy the process as well but at day's end and when it matters, I'd like to have something more than satisfactory to show for my efforts. To each his/her own.
    Surfing, race cars, motorcycles at speed are generally my subject matter where a motor drive would even be considered. Sure, getting *the* shot is more important than getting *a* shot, but it's been a rare occasion when 5fps has gotten me a shot that careful anticipation couldn't. I'm generally using set focus and exposure, so having the experience to catch the height of action is more effective than 10fps will ever be. It was a hard lesson to learn, luckily I wasn't paying per roll and coming home with nothing, but it was a lot of time invested until I learned to settle down and wait for it to happen.

The question of speed largely comes down to subject matter and the level of desire/need to 'get the shot'. When in doubt, stack the deck!
    Of course, I see the pitching analogy as a perfect example of where 10fps would be even better than 5fps and 5fps worth using where as 1fps would not be of much help.

I'm not against using the drive when the situation calls for it, I'm just advocating knowing enough about the situation to know whether it is called for or not. Although...if more people were burning through a roll of 36 in 3.6 seconds, maybe film sales would go up?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    A fully manual RF camera with negligible shutter delay improves the chances of capturing the peak of motion. Consider a runner at 20 feet/second breaking the tape: many motor drives will often miss the critical moment.

Shooter
    35mm
    I do need a 5fps motor drive and I never use it in continuous mode. Mostly when I take pictures of people that pose for me they tend to be in a good pose right after I took the shot so I need to be able to make another shot immediately. 5fps is about all I need. Faster my reaction time isn't fast enough to need it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin