Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,758   Posts: 1,670,784   Online: 733

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    q_x
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    I'm sometimes out for a long time, making photos while hiking or visiting friends. I have no sharpie in the wild. What I have though, is my terrible memory. I reload all cassettes many times, with different films, so the info on the cassette is insignificant (so is DX code, so I'm sometimes taping these, depending on a camera). I'm always leaving the beginning (it's hard to call it a leader) of a film sticking out when rewinding the film for more confusion. Helps reusing cassettes.

So you can imagine this situation: smelly guy, tired as hell, working in a hurry in the middle of nowhere, cause the sun is going down... With a bag of films, all looking the same. That, without a clear and working solution, would lead to a complete chaos followed by a certain failure.

There's a system that works for me. I'm scratching whatever I'll need in the emulsion with whatever I have in my hand. Pen, knife, cable release, pebble, whatever. If I'm in a real hurry, I'd bite the film to mark and remember which roll needs to be taken care of later and should not be used. I scribble a place I'm in, the number of a roll from a given place and push/pull info if needed. After getting back home, I have have zero problems with developing, chronology or subjects, and the information isn't lost even after the development. S2 50 translates to: sea, second roll, 50 ASA. I may (or not) remember which rolls or subjects need more or less contrast while developing, so I can process things accordingly.
    Use the Force, Luke!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know this is the 35mm forum, but I also keep a notebook handy at all times when I'm taking pictures of any degree of seriousity. For sheet film, the holders are numbered and I can take notes of what EI i used for each sheet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    "i don't, but process everything as "normal" even if it is over/under exposed by 3 stops"

Another happy Tri-X user I perceive. I use a sharpie to remember which film came from which camera, or a regular pen on a piece of masking tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I know this is the 35mm forum, but I also keep a notebook handy...
    35mm shooters aren't supposed to carry a notebook? Personally, I take notes shooting 35mm the same as when shooting 4x5.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    35mm....write the pertinent info on a note card or the side of a barn and photograph it (with that roll).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    35mm....write the pertinent info on a note card or the side of a barn and photograph it (with that roll).

i thought the same thing, "write a note and photograph it!"
    but then i remembered
    you would only see the note after the film was processed

haha
    john

Shooter
    35mm
    I use Dixon CHINA MARKERS. i get them a stationary stores. I also use them on backs of prints and nega file pages. they are available in many colors.

Howard Dvorin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    i thought the same thing, "write a note and photograph it!"
    but then i remembered
    you would only see the note after the film was processed

haha
    john
    Oh...yeah....(chuckes to self). I do this with place info, sometimes date and time if I think it important.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Because I use reloadable cassettes they already have a new Avery label on them with text e.g. '3x'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sharpie here. And a notebook. Each roll/sheet comes out of the camera and gets a sequential number on it in sharpie, along with an N or +1 depending on how I shot it.The notebook records the number, film type, development needs, place, and camera body/lens/filter/back/film holder# used. Takes only a minute, has been my practice for the last fifteen years, I did a somewhat less coherent version of this for about ten years before that. When shooting stock slides these notes were invaluable for being sure films were handled properly, and are a simple way for tracking down problems in equipment.

I use those little Avery removable adhesive labels on my film holders and bulk loads also.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin