Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,450   Online: 810

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KEH ratings!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Years ago I paid $49.00 for a 50mm 1.7 Zeiss Contax lens for my Contax 139. It was listed as BGN "engraved". When I received the lens, it looked brand new, and I couldn't find any engraving anywhere on the lens. The only thing that looked different, was following the engraved serial number on the lens front, there is a capital letter D that looks factory engraved also, but thinner and not filled with white. Never been able to figure that one out, unless they sent me the wrong lens. I still have the lens which works flawlessly, and I've always been pleased with their equipment and service.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My F3P is EX+ grade. Only cosmetic deficiency is a couple scratches on the battery cap. I have an UG grade 50/1.4 Nikkor-S with factory AI conversion ring on it. Some paint wear on the focusing ring and a little missing paint from the f/8 DOF scale lines. That, and some wear on the lens mount. Otherwise, looks nice. Smooth focus and snappy diaphragm. BGN grade has sometimes been great, sometimes not. It really depends on who is grading the gear at the time it's received. I've had BGN grade F2A bodies that you'd have to look very closely to see a ding or some brassing. That said, I've also had a couple BGN grade lenses that had rough focus (and in one case a dented hood), as well as an F4 that looked pretty beat up and had mode switch problems. The best bargains seem to be the lots of camera bodies that they sometimes post up. Frequently you wind up with 1-3 bodies that have no issues, except for bad foam. My Nikomat FT2 body is one of those. Got it in a lot of 7 Nikkormat bodies. All it needed was a foam job.

-J
    APUG: F4, F3P, F2ASx2, F
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 35/135/3.5-4.5 AIS, 50/1.4 AI, 50/2 H, 85/1.8 K, 105/4 Micro AIS, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Timely thread for me. I am looking at my first purchase from KEH. I want to buy a late model Minolta electronic flash. Considering it will be sent to Australia, would it be fair to stick with EX or EX+? I don't want the hassle of a return.

Cheers.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Another happy KEH buyer here. Great place to do business with. It's a mine field out there when it comes to buying used camera gear, but I can nearly always count on being satisfied when I buy from them. Coincidentally, I received a Bgn $27 Nikon AI'd 50 2.0 lens from them yesterday, and it is just about perfect. Only a very slight rough spot in the focus, but the glass is perfect. It also went on my FG, which is a neat little camera.

I have only one complaint, and it's not w/ KEH. Why didn't Nikon put an AE lock on these things??? They really missed the boat on that one. If I can't get the exposure that I want w/ the little button that gives me 2 more stops, I have to change the setting from AE to manual and do it that way. Pretty nuts.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always had good experiences with KEH and I have purchased a lot from them. On a few occasions I have received a few things that weren't as described (meter not indicating correctly, aperture sticky) but they made it right with a phone call and absolutely no hassle at all. They err on the conservative side with their grading as well so I always feel confident when buying even BGN equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Several times I have ordered one grade from KEH and received the next higher grade. Why? Because when I ordered they had the grade in stock that I ordered, however when they went to fill the order that grade was empty and rather than disappoint a customer they select the next available higher grade item. Hence I have ordered EX and received EX+. Once I ordered EX and got LN with a hand written note explaining what had happened.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    KEH is well known for having very conservative ratings - what they call bargain, many eBay sellers would not hesitate to call mint. I have ordered almost exclusively bargain grade equipment from them, and always felt like I really did get a bargain. The one time I received a non functional lens, they took it back without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iamzip View Post
    KEH is well known for having very conservative ratings - what they call bargain, many eBay sellers would not hesitate to call mint. I have ordered almost exclusively bargain grade equipment from them, and always felt like I really did get a bargain. The one time I received a non functional lens, they took it back without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In eBay land, "mint", "rare", "hard to find", and "I do not know anything about ..." are required phrases.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH is the best in the business with regard to used products, especially with the volume they buy-sell-trade, etc. I've bought from them for well over 20 years now. I had two items over those many years that required return after a period of time and they honored both items without hesitation. One item they exchanged with another unit and the second item less then a month ago now they repaired with a CLA'd process.
    Their product ratings are very conservative.
    Last edited by Trail Images; 12-07-2013 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Trail Images, welcome to APUG.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin