Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,572   Posts: 1,621,880   Online: 1019

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KEH ratings!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Timely thread for me. I am looking at my first purchase from KEH. I want to buy a late model Minolta electronic flash. Considering it will be sent to Australia, would it be fair to stick with EX or EX+? I don't want the hassle of a return.

Cheers.
    If you get a chance, check out my new Facebook Page, Kustoms On Silver!

Hoffy's Flickr Photostream (Not quite analog Only, but nearly!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another happy KEH buyer here. Great place to do business with. It's a mine field out there when it comes to buying used camera gear, but I can nearly always count on being satisfied when I buy from them. Coincidentally, I received a Bgn $27 Nikon AI'd 50 2.0 lens from them yesterday, and it is just about perfect. Only a very slight rough spot in the focus, but the glass is perfect. It also went on my FG, which is a neat little camera.

I have only one complaint, and it's not w/ KEH. Why didn't Nikon put an AE lock on these things??? They really missed the boat on that one. If I can't get the exposure that I want w/ the little button that gives me 2 more stops, I have to change the setting from AE to manual and do it that way. Pretty nuts.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've always had good experiences with KEH and I have purchased a lot from them. On a few occasions I have received a few things that weren't as described (meter not indicating correctly, aperture sticky) but they made it right with a phone call and absolutely no hassle at all. They err on the conservative side with their grading as well so I always feel confident when buying even BGN equipment.

Shooter
    35mm
    KEH is well known for having very conservative ratings - what they call bargain, many eBay sellers would not hesitate to call mint. I have ordered almost exclusively bargain grade equipment from them, and always felt like I really did get a bargain. The one time I received a non functional lens, they took it back without hesitation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    KEH is the best in the business with regard to used products, especially with the volume they buy-sell-trade, etc. I've bought from them for well over 20 years now. I had two items over those many years that required return after a period of time and they honored both items without hesitation. One item they exchanged with another unit and the second item less then a month ago now they repaired with a CLA'd process.
    Their product ratings are very conservative.
    Last edited by Trail Images; 12-07-2013 at 11:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    On the one hand I wish they have a counter so I can just drive up there and pick it up but on the other hand maybe I don't want them to have a counter that I can just drive up to!

Maybe a drive through . . .

And now they even sell film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you, Sirius Glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Count me, too, on the list of happy and satisfied "KEHites." Glass-wise, I have always purchased EX or better; for bodies, motor-drives and accessories, however, BGN has been my habit, and has always been a pleasant surprise (I have been buying from KEH since 1982, when the bricks-and-mortar store operated on 14th Street down near Georgia Tech).

In terms of lens recommendations? Telephoto-wise, the 105 F2.5 Nikkor is a glorious piece of glass (I have owned both the Ai and Ais versions); for a wide angle, I would suggest the 28mm F2.8 Ai or Ais. I have the 28mm F2 Ais, but, in retrospect, I am not sure the extra stop is worth the price premium (and the optical qualities of the 2.8 are well-known, and well-regarded...). Happy shooting!
    Some Nikons (F6, F5x2, F3P, F3HP, F2ASx4, F2A, F2 and a D800), with Ai/Ais Nikkors ranging from 15mm to 600mm; Leicas (M6X2), with Leitz glass from 28 to 90mm and a pair of Hasselblads (500c/ms), with Zeiss glass from 50 to 250mm. A bit of stuff for a no-longer practicing professional, but justifiable for a now-converted hobbyist who absolutely loves taking/making pictures.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've only purchased from KEH once or twice.

Very satisfied with them. I am fortunate to have a store that deals in film cameras in the region. (80 miles).

He champions analog, and supports the analog photography program at the regional college.

Not always the cheapest, but a resource I would like to see survive.

I've found KEH often to be less expensive that the sharks in the Bay.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I used to buy EX and EX+ only, but took a chance on an F3 in BGN condition. When it arrived I thought it was in excellent condition, but after playing with it for 30 minutes I found the prism was dented on one side. It's cosmetic only as the prism works fine. There's also one minor dent above the film counter, which doesn't seem to cause any issues. So it really is a bargain. I save about 1/3 of the cost to get a fully functional camera with some minor cosmetic issues. Not a bad deal. Next I'll try a BGN lens and see how happy I am with it.

As far as 35mm lenses go I haven't been too fond of the 35mm f/2 AFD, so I'm hesitant to try the MF version (which is reported to be not as good as the AFD). I've used the 35mm f/1.4 Rokinon and found it to be an excellent lens. It's got a pleasant rendering, and it's sharper at f/1.4 than the AFD is at f/2, and by f/5.6 it's sharper than the AFD ever gets. I've got it for sale because I could use the money, but I'm half tempted to keep it.

For the 50mm I have an old f/1.4 that was converted to AI. It works well. Not the sharpest lens wide open, but I really like its image qualities. The 50mm f/1.8 Series E lenses are real bargains, and once stopped down to f/2.8 equal the faster f/1.4 lens. Non of these older lenses are as sharp as the newer G lenses, but those won't work on your camera.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin