Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,577   Online: 1174

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: KEH ratings!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Timely thread for me. I am looking at my first purchase from KEH. I want to buy a late model Minolta electronic flash. Considering it will be sent to Australia, would it be fair to stick with EX or EX+? I don't want the hassle of a return.

Cheers.
    The ratings seem mostly cosmetic. I don't think they do a lot of functional testing. So I'd buy BGN, I think the odds of getting a dud would be about the same. Price difference on a flash between BGN and EX shouldn't be that much. I definitely would buy EX instead of EX+, though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    me too.from one conversation with KEH, I UNDERSTAND that all heir ratings are purely based on cosmeticsand the equipment is not tested for functionality.that's fine with me as I think cosmetics is a good sign of how the equipment was cared for in the past.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L Gebhardt View Post
    I used to buy EX and EX+ only, but took a chance on an F3 in BGN condition. When it arrived I thought it was in excellent condition, but after playing with it for 30 minutes I found the prism was dented on one side. It's cosmetic only as the prism works fine. There's also one minor dent above the film counter, which doesn't seem to cause any issues. So it really is a bargain. I save about 1/3 of the cost to get a fully functional camera with some minor cosmetic issues. Not a bad deal. Next I'll try a BGN lens and see how happy I am with it.

As far as 35mm lenses go I haven't been too fond of the 35mm f/2 AFD, so I'm hesitant to try the MF version (which is reported to be not as good as the AFD). I've used the 35mm f/1.4 Rokinon and found it to be an excellent lens. It's got a pleasant rendering, and it's sharper at f/1.4 than the AFD is at f/2, and by f/5.6 it's sharper than the AFD ever gets. I've got it for sale because I could use the money, but I'm half tempted to keep it.

For the 50mm I have an old f/1.4 that was converted to AI. It works well. Not the sharpest lens wide open, but I really like its image qualities. The 50mm f/1.8 Series E lenses are real bargains, and once stopped down to f/2.8 equal the faster f/1.4 lens. Non of these older lenses are as sharp as the newer G lenses, but those won't work on your camera.
    You'll be pleasantly surprised with the manual 35/2 lenses. They're better than the AF-D version. Pretty much any of them from the original Nikkor-O through the AIS version will beat the AF and AF-D versions.

Re: where KEH's inventory comes from, there are estate sales, shops that have given up on used inventory, private sellers, and they also have buyers who hit local camera shops every 60 days to purchase inventory that has been sitting around but that is of interest to their buyers. With the local shops here in the Seattle area, you can usually tell when Justin from KEH has come through. The Nikon and Canon cases have about 1/3 the inventory of what they had earlier.

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Nikon_F View Post
    You'll be pleasantly surprised with the manual 35/2 lenses. They're better than the AF-D version. Pretty much any of them from the original Nikkor-O through the AIS version will beat the AF and AF-D versions.

-J
    that's nt my experience. my 24,35,50AFDs are just as god as their AIS siblings frm what I can tell.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    that's nt my experience. my 24,35,50AFDs are just as god as their AIS siblings frm what I can tell.
    The 24 and 50 I'd expect to have them perform the same as the AIS versions, since they are basically the same lenses. The 35, however, is a different design optically, having six elements in five groups, instead of eight elements in six groups. Center sharpness is fine, but the edges suffer some loss on the 35/2 AF (and AF-D).

-J
    APUG: F4, F2AS, F, Nikomat FTn
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 24/2.8 AI, 50/1.4 AI, 85/1.8 K, 180/2.8 ED AIS, 300/4.5 ED AI

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ThanksI'lltry to make a cmparison.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin