Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,884   Online: 973

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: KEH ratings!

Shooter
    35mm

KEH ratings!

I just got a package from KEH with my new(old) Nikon FG, rated Excellent by KEH. Besides having an absurd price tag ($27.00 + S&H), the camera looks like it has never been used, by ANYBODY! It still has the Passed sticker on the pentaprism, I can't find any signs of wear and tear, and the works seem to be working well. If an old(er) camera like this FG can look this good, and I mean really good, like new(?), what do the other ratings look like? I've been tempted by the BGN rating, but I've given it a pass so far. This camera (probably not this particular example) was introduced in 1982, fer Pete's sake.

I was looking for a small, light Nikon film body, but this one exceeds all expectations. I borrowed the 50mm f/1.8 D autofocus lens from my F100 for the time being, and it works just fine. Does KEH usually send out this kind of wonderful gear? Just curious.

Any recommendations for 50mm or 35mm manual focus lenses for its very own?

With best regards,

Stephen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    28mm and the 50mm lenses

35mm is too close to the 50mm lens to make it worth having
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm
    Couple of years ago I got a Nikon N90s, BGN rating for $29. Like you, when I got it, I could not find a mark on it and it's worked perfectly. To me, it looked like it MAY have been a store display model.

Other BGN items I've gotten have been a bit more beat-up looking, but only one had a functional problem and KEH took it back without batting an eye.

I think the lower the rating, the more of a "crapshoot". Expect something less than perfect, so you're not disappointed, but possibly pleasantly surprised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might check out something like a 105.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have use Ken for over 30 years
    It is used equipment any way you look at it
    If does not work they good about replacing

Dave
    Last edited by smithdoor; 12-06-2013 at 09:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I highly recommend KEH.

We usually have several new "KEH is wonderful" threads a week.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    funny, i bought the same camera and got it wed. looked brand new. i was shocked by the quality of a BGN FA. except for a small chip in the corner, looked almost new as well. I feel fine with buying BGN bodies from them now

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
    Couple of years ago I got a Nikon N90s, BGN rating for $29. Like you, when I got it, I could not find a mark on it and it's worked perfectly. To me, it looked like it MAY have been a store display model.

Other BGN items I've gotten have been a bit more beat-up looking, but only one had a functional problem and KEH took it back without batting an eye.

I think the lower the rating, the more of a "crapshoot". Expect something less than perfect, so you're not disappointed, but possibly pleasantly surprised.
    on the other hand, you may not feel so good whrn you feel that yor 'for-sale 'items are being down ratef by KEH, BUT that comes with the terretory.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH is conservative in rating, which is good.

Treat yourself to something EX+ some day You will be delighted.

I buy EX and above. BGN stuff almost always has faults - usually tolerable. But I've found EX is where I'm consistently happy.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH's ratings are very conservative. I try to buy stuff they rate as "good" or "very good," cuz I know it will be "excellent" to "outstanding" by my rating system.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin