Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,067   Online: 996

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    Buying another one is buying another problem. Most sellers of old cameras will sell their problems, unless it is sold by a professional or a serious store like KEH. Once you realize one camera has a problem, depending how serious the problem is, you are better off trying to get it fixed by a local reliable tech. Once it is fixed, you can concentrate on what matters: shooting with joy !
    That's perfectly true, and the advice I would normally give, but unfortunately the cost of getting an AE1 repaired by a professional repairer usually is far more than most people who own these 25year old+ consumer grade cameras are willing to pay, if you replace it with one from a reputable used camera retailer it will probably be cheaper, and you will get a six month warranty.
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    benjiboy,

I might be wrong but second-hand cameras are usually sold between 100 to 150$ (with the 50mm lens). A reliable technician does the job (CLA'd) for approx the same price, unless the problem is very serious. One way or another it is the same cost, although you know the tech fixed it.
    For AE-1, I would suggest Steve Swerington (Camera Classic in NV) + warranty.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'm sure that can buy a good, working AE-1 with a 50/18 FD for much, much less than $100 to $150 without even trying too hard. Maybe $25 to $50 is more like it if you are diligent about finding a bargain.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    I'm sure that can buy a good, working AE-1 with a 50/18 FD for much, much less than $100 to $150 without even trying too hard. Maybe $25 to $50 is more like it if you are diligent about finding a bargain.
    From US members I hear that they get hold of decent camera for small amounts. But over here, especially for Canons, that doesn't happen that often on regular re-sell websites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo-gear View Post
    benjiboy,

I might be wrong but second-hand cameras are usually sold between 100 to 150$ (with the 50mm lens). A reliable technician does the job (CLA'd) for approx the same price, unless the problem is very serious. One way or another it is the same cost, although you know the tech fixed it.
    For AE-1, I would suggest Steve Swerington (Camera Classic in NV) + warranty.
    I had my canon A1 given a standard C.L.A and had the light seals replaced last year and it cost £100 (about $165 U.S)
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    You are lucky it has lasted this long. About 15 years ago i had several students in one class who owned AE-1's. 5 or 6 of them died during the semester.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin