Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,147   Online: 839

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chan Tran View Post
    I am a Nikon guy so I am not familiar with Canon. I have an off topic question. Which are the camera models that support IS? I meant only film cameras.
    It's self-contained in the lens; works on any EOS body.

Personally, I think I'd go for the smaller lens, unless (1) you really want the extra stop for shallow DOF, (2) you want to maximize shutter speed to freeze the subject AND you can focus on that subject at f/2.8, or (3) you have the carrying capacity of the Incredible Hulk and don't care a bit about the extra weight.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ok another update:

after having pined over the options available and having my opinion swayed in many different directions by well meaning folk, I have come to the conclusion that the 70-200mm f4L IS is the best option for me. Canon quality, smaller lighter than the f2.8s and affordable. funny thing, I only bought a film EOS the other day, long after this thread was started, talk about doing things backwards. (in all fairness, I have a dslr, which gives me an excuse to buy good lenses I can use on 35mm too )

thank you ALL for your input on this, much appreciated

Ricus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You won't regret it. Those are some serious optics. Congratulations!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Don't forget the option of just a 200mm lens; Many people find themselves shooting either at 70mm OR just at 200, in which case the excellent 200mm f/2.8 EOS is a lighter option with a fast 2.8. Couple that with an 85mm f/1.8 (a fine optic) or 100mm f/2 and that might be even less money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RidingWaves View Post
    Don't forget the option of just a 200mm lens; Many people find themselves shooting either at 70mm OR just at 200, in which case the excellent 200mm f/2.8 EOS is a lighter option with a fast 2.8. Couple that with an 85mm f/1.8 (a fine optic) or 100mm f/2 and that might be even less money.
    Always an option too, I have looked at the 100mm Macro (both L and non L), the 135mm f2L, the 200 f2.8 L, the 85mm f1.8 (no way can I even think of the faster version), the 100mm f2.... but for the sake of not switching lenses the whole time, I opted for a zoom. The 85mm f1.8 stands out as a fast prime I might get a while after I get the 70-200mm. As for zooms I also looked at the aging 80-200mm f2.8L but even though it's the cheapest zoom I could get....I don't want to get stuck with something that might need costly repairs done in a few years.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    got a 70-200 f2.8 IS mk1 at a reasonable price in the end.....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricus.stormfire View Post
    got a 70-200 f2.8 IS mk1 at a reasonable price in the end.....
    Enjoy. I have the mk II model, but had the mark I they are both excellent. I don't bother shooting under f/5.6 for decent DOF but the 2.8 makes focussing much better in low light.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin